// CHAPTER SIXTY NINE //

(A/N: Okay so after some IDIOT wrote off my car after crashing into it whilst it was fucking parked, I've finally got a new one, a.k.a so  much stress has been lifted, a.k.a I can now write. It's not long because I struggled with this, pls bear with me whilst I get back into the swing of things, it's been a while.)

----

"..."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"Are you just gonna sit there staring at me with your mouth open for the rest of the night?" I asked, rattling the box. "Because that isn't going to distract me from this." 

"...It's not mine, I-" He began.

"Spare the bullshit, Matty. I'm tired of it." I sighed, closing my eyes as I ran my hand down my face.

"Ok." He said, pulling himself off the box he was perched on and instead sat on the cold concrete floor cross-legged. Another few moments of silence passed.

"Well?" 

"Well what?" He shrugged.

"Well what were you doing with this box?" I reiterated. Matty said nothing, only rolled his eyes in response.

"Don't fucking roll your eyes at me like I'm a child!" I seethed, throwing the box at him. The contents juggled about as they flew through the air before hitting his chest and resting in the gap in his legs.

"Don't act like a child then, you clearly know what I was doing with it so why ask." He barked.

"I'm not so bothered about what you were doing with it, more like why." I joined him on the floor, daring to reach for his hand. "Why do you keep doing this to yourself Matty?"

"Does it matter?"

"Of course it matters you big dumb idiot." I said, turning his hand over in mine. I traced the lines of his palm with my fingertip. "Why can't you acknowledge that I care about you, and want you to be healthy and happy?" 

"I haven't been happy in a long time, Aves." 

"But why? Is it... is it that secret you won-"

Matty instantly dropped my hand.

"What have I fucking said before?!" he hissed at me, standing to his feet. "I don't want to talk about that shit!"

"Well you're going to have to eventually, and now's a good a time as any!" I spat.

"Don't go down this route Avery, cus it aint gonna end pretty." Matty quipped, looking at me like I'd killed his dad.

"Is that a threat?" I half laughed in disbelief, standing up also.  "Y'know what? I've had enough of people thinking they can just talk shit to me and I'll take it. You have 5-fucking-seconds to tell me what was running through your mind to make you think hiding in your flat taking god knows what was such a good idea, or me and you are done for good." 

"Aves..."

"5." I snapped.

"Avery, come on."

"4."  I said, inching toward the door.  Matty stood staring me down, not moving even slightly.

"3. 2. 1." Without hesitation, I reached for the door handle and pulled it open ready to walk out. I couldn't even move my foot a fraction before Matty raced back over, and slammed the door shut with his hand. His face was directly in front of mine.

"You."

"What?"

"You. I took it, because of you." He said, his breath moving the strays of my hair. 

"You can't seriously be blaming me?" I snorted.

"I'm not blaming you for anything. You asked me what was running through my mind, and I told you. It was you."

"You were thinking of me? I said, my voice suddenly soft. Matty pulled himself away from me and perched himself on top of one of the kitchen counters. 

"When am I not thinking about you Aves?" He chuckled to himself. "What's she doing? Where is she? Is she okay? Should I text her, call her, see her, blah blah blah. It drives me insane." 

"I think about you too y'know."

"Nah, not to the same extent as me. I'm obsessive, manically obsessive. And since that whole thing in Idaho-"

"You mean you fucking Soph." I mimicked her nickname, before making dry heaving noises.

"Yes. But that's only because she blackmailed me with my uh, minor, heroin addiction whilst I was over there."

"Whoa whoa... You slept with Sophie, because you wanted heroin?" I scoffed once again, folding my arms. "You really have no self restraint do you?" Matty just chuckled to himself, before clicking his tongue and giving me a weary smile. 

"Not until you came along. Remember when we went to Chad's party, and you caught me crying in the bathroom? I've always been fucked up, but when you were around I realised I wasn't as bad. And then shit happened, I was alone with these horrible thoughts in my brain and I was back at step one. It's like - it's like you're my medicine." 

"Your medicine?"

"Yeah...you're my medicine."