// CHAPTER THIRTY NINE //

Avery's P.O.V

We were still in a jumble on the sofa. It'd been an hour since I'd had Matty's head in between my legs, and he'd not moved apart from slithering slightly upwards and resting his head on my stomach, his mouth slightly ajar as he rested his eyes peacefully. I was playing with his curls; twirling the same one repetitively around my ring finger before letting it bounce back.

"Can we stay like this forever please?" he mumbled, running one of his long fingers slowly up and down the outside of my leg.

"I wish."

"We can though. Come with me." He said suddenly, sitting up and staring at me with his big chocolate eyes.

"Matty. I can't." I almost whimpered, taking in a drastic sigh. Our passion filled moment from earlier was rapidly beginning to fade away, and I felt my temples begin to pulsate at the oncoming shit storm about to approach. It was gonna go one of 3 ways as I saw it. 1; I leave university to traipse around after Matty and the boys, being their roadie. 2; I stay and do my degree, without Matty. Or 3; We both get so heated in this argument that he doesn't want to speak to me again and fucks off around the world boning whoever he wants, whilst I'm free from all the secrecy and drugs. Out of the 3 possible outcomes, I don't think I'd be remotely happy in any.

"Of course you can. George is dropping out of the same course as you, it can't be that hard." He said casually, his eyes burning into mine.

"George has something to drop out for. He has the band, which has managed to get a world wide tour with little recognition apart from their own country. That's an amazing achievement and I'm so happy for him, for all of you. But I don't have that opportunity." I sat up also, crossing my legs and resting my back against the arm of the sofa.

"You have me to drop out for."

"Matty, can't you see? That's like me asking you not to go on that tour just to stay with me." I forced a chuckle, but it didn't make the situation any lighter.

"I'll consider it." He smirked slightly, but I could tell by the way he looked at me his heart wasn't in joking around. He was taking this, me, seriously.

"Come on Matty. My passion is in my studies, you can't expect me to stop following it just so you can follow yours."

Seconds that felt like hours of silence passed, before he pulled slightly at his hair as he pushed it back with one hand.

"I'm being selfish, I know. But hear me out. Aves, you have been my rock these past couple of weeks. I know drugs aren't really your scene, and I didn't picture a fucked up skinny boy with lungs covered in tar to be either; but you stuck around and that's more than I can say for most. I enjoy your company, and I enjoy your face. I don't know what I'm going to do without you..."

"We'll figure something out, I promise." I said, forcing a smile as my eyes betrayed me and let loose a single tear. Matty pulled me into him, holding me so tightly I thought the top of my head might pop off and distribute all my vital internal organs as confetti around his cold, bare flat.

-------

"He's going on a world tour?"

"Yes mum."

"What? As in America?"

"Mum, America does not count as the whole world, does it?" I gritted my teeth into the mic on my phone in annoyance.

"Are you going with him?"

"Well, no. I'm staying here and doing my studies. As planned."

"How boring."

"Mum!" I groaned into the phone, silently thankful that my mother could not witness my eye-rolling.

"You've never been one for adventure. You're much like your father in that respect."

"Don't even-"

"But if you wanna let him roam loose around different countries positively crawling with other women, be my guest. I best be off anyway darling, I have a date to get to. Lots of love!"

I groaned, practically slamming my phone against the kitchen worktop. I thought talking things over with my mum would help me get a clearer perspective and make me feel a little better about the situation... clearly not.

"No closer to a decision?" A voice from behind me asked delicately. I turned around to see George, Ross and Adam stood in the doorway to my kitchen, holding a McDonalds bag and a drink to match. I smiled thankfully, taking the bag from Adam's hands and digging into the meal they'd bought for me.

"Nope."

"You should make a pro's and con's list." Ross said simply, eying up the horrid wallpaper that decorated my accommodation. Both George and Adam looked at him with a disapproving glance and a sigh, before taking a seat around the table.

"I don't think you should come." Adam said, scratching the slight stubble on his chin.

"Cheers."

"No no, Avery I didn't mean it like that. The things you came here to do haven't changed. You moved here to chase up on what you like doing, yeah? I mean I've seen the short stories and poems you've been writing when we're at work and they're amazing. Even Doug sai-"

"We're at work?" George interrupted, raising a quizzical eyebrow. I stopped chewing and looked quickly at Adam, who's face now showed clear panic.

"I, uh-"

"Thanks Adam," I smiled, trying to save him from his awkward confession. "George?"

"See this is hard for me. You're my class buddy, which means we're pretty close like. And like Adam said, you're amazing at what you do - you're top of the class when you don't even try. But Matty is my best friend, and he's done so well with you there. He loves you in his own weird way mate, if you don't come it'll destroy him." He got up and stood in front of me, his head merely inches away from the low ceiling. "Plus, if you don't come I won't be able to do this anymore." He smirked, grabbing me in headlock and ruffling me hair, ignoring my screams and pleads.

"Ross?" I asked, standing up straight and attempting to fix my hair. He pursed his lips slightly, pausing for a few moments to think.

"I think you should do what makes you happy."

-------

(A/N: I'm so sorry this is such a late update. Gahhhh.

What's Avery gonna doooooooo?!)