// CHAPTER SEVENTY //

I closed the door to my flat for the first time in weeks. Even though Callum had been kicked out of university, and therefore our dorm, I still didn't feel comfortable enough to come back to a place surrounded by all his belongings. It felt...weird. I wasn't sad or anything, I just felt kind of numb to it all. 
I barely took a step forward before a figure with dark hair scurried towards me, and wrapped themselves around my body. 

"Long time no see," I chucked, returning her tight hug. "How was Texas?"
"Cold," Tessa laughed into my ear, still holding on to me tightly. "I prefer the summer time."
"That's nice... hey, you gonna let go anytime soon or shall I make a permanent space for your head in the crook of my neck?"
"Oh, sorry!" She half laughed, pulling herself away and pushing her long hair out of her face. "Just wanted to make sure you were okay."
"As good as I'll ever be." I smiled, walking past her and into the kitchen. I flicked the switch on the kettle and pulled open the cupboard where we kept the mugs, but was caught off guard by how bare it looked. Turns out the majority of our homeware belonged to him. I think Tessa knew what I was thinking as she wrapped her arms around my shoulders and pulled me into a half hug.
"Some people from the university came and cleared out all his stuff a few days ago." I nodded in silence, taking out my own mug and one of Tessa's. "I just can't believe he could do something like that, he always seemed so nice and relaxed..."
"Yeah well, he did." I snapped, focusing intensely on stirring the spoon around my mug. A tense silence filled the air, only the fast clinks of my spoon hitting the sides of the mug filling it. Tea sloshed over the sides due to this, burning my fingers that were wrapped around the sides of it in the process. I hissed and brought my fingers to my mouth.
"That was stupid of me to say..." Tessa almost whispered, grabbing the washcloth and wiping up the spill. 
"No, sorry." I sighed, "It's just... it's still a fresh wound." 
"That's understandable." She smiled at me, before taking both the mugs and placing them on the kitchen table.

I sat down next to her and wrapped my fingers around my mug once again, before leaning back and letting my head loll off the back of my chair. 
"I'm sorry I wasn't around. If I knew I-"
"Tess don't be silly." I half laughed, holding her hand over the table and giving it a squeeze. "You had that flight back booked since you arrived here, I should be apologising for forgetting you were leaving and storming off to Matty's before seeing you off." 

She gave a weak smile before removing her hand and placing it in her lap.
"Oh shit yeah, Matty." I groaned, placing my head in my hands. "I'm sorry I-"
"Avery, Matthew Healy is all yours." 
"But-"
"I think it was my inner fan girl."
"Inner?" I said, cocking an eyebrow at her. She rolled her eyes at me, but continued it with a laugh.
"Okay, okay, point taken. I think the fact one of my idols wanted to come over and talk sent me into overdrive. Obviously it'd never work anyway, I mean he's this sex symbol famous for whatever drugs he's on and stuff, whereas I have all my extracurricular's. We're from different worlds, though it's nice to dream." For some reason that last sentence stung slightly as she said it, but I shook it out of my mind.
"Just as long as there's no hard feelings." 
"Hard feelings, are you kidding? You know my favourite band personally. How is that a bad thing?" She giggled. Tessa stood up and tucked her chair under the table before picking up her coffee. "Anyway, I'd better get ready for basketball practice." 
"Okay, catch up later?" I smiled as she nodded enthusiastically back at me.  She walked out of the kitchen, but once she reached the doorway she turned and looked over her shoulder at me. 
"Ave?"
"Yeah?"
"When Matty was in my room, all he spoke about was you. Like, everything that came out of his mouth. Just thought you should know." I smiled at her back as she walked off, before bringing my mug to my lips.

----

I'd just come out of the shower when there was a knock at the door. Still in my towel, I scuttled to the front door before opening it slightly, peering around the edge.
"Oh thank god Tessa you're in, I thought I'd have to go to reception and get the scary receptionist." Brad said, letting out a huge sigh as he pushed his way past me. 
"Hello to you too." I half laughed. At the sound of my voice he turned to look at me, his eyes going wide before bringing me into a hug.
"Your backs all wet." 
"Shower's tend to do that."
"I didn't think you'd be coming back." He said, pulling away from me. 
"I didn't either to be honest, but what would you do without me?" 
"Very true. I'm glad you finally hold my best interests at heart." He grinned. I laughed, giving him a slight shove. 
"Still as obnoxious as ever." I said, beginning to walk back to my room. "Though I'm surprised by the lack of borderline-harassing comment on my current attire." He seemed to shift uncomfortably.
"Yeah well... guess it's just not as funny as it used to be, considering." Brad whispered, giving me a sympathetic smile before disappearing into his room. My smile vanished from my face as I was forced to remember. Rapidly blinking away my tears, I started back towards my room, but another knock at the door stopped me in my tracks. 

Grumbling, I made my way over and opened it once more, poking my head out the side.
"Oh!"

---------

(A/N: Who's at da door?!)