The Royal Thrive - Chapter 17 - Worthiness of love

I don't know how long I've been sitting in the same spot now. In my head all I could do was recall the word: death. The more I thought about it the more anger was built up inside me - angry tears spilled down my face. 

"How long are you planning to sit there?" 

Noah bends down to meet my eyes that is staring at the floor - wiping away my tears with his thumb his kindness makes me cry even more. "I can't do anything at all. I didn't stop her" My voice wavers as the sobs threat to come out. 

"I knew she was in contact with Jake, but I didn't stop her at all. If I did it wouldn't have happened! No one would've died! She wouldn't have to die!" - Noah could only frown as he takes a seat next to me patting my back "You're not God, you can't change time" The heavy weight in my chest became heavier and heavier - I need to get it all out. "When we was at private school, Julie and I stuck through thick and thin together. We got in trouble together, we shared secrets together. We laughed together, when I got in trouble she would do her best to help me - but look at me now? I can't even do anything" I whimpered as Noah pulls me next to him hugging me close to his body letting me lean on it.

"Is this how you comfort people?" He asks me causing me to laugh and cry at the same time.

As I cried a handkerchief was handed to me, looking to my right Nathan stood there urging me to take it as Jayden stood in front of me with Zain and Linda. "You still have half an hour left before the execution takes place. So stop crying and go" Nathan roughly wipes the tears for me "Ok, ok stop rubbing my face" Arguing I grab the handkerchief from him and wiped the tears myself. I've had enough of crying now, all I'm doing is wasting time and making my friends worry.

Flashback 

"Dad! I'm telling you I knew Julie was in contact with the guy! So it isn't all of her fault! He was just using her!" 

My dad sighs, with me and him in his own office where he does all of his beta duties I could restrain myself but yell at him. I'm angry, hot tears run down my face every word I utter. I'm trying to fight for my friend. 

"Sweetheart. You can't do any-" 

"DAD! LISTE-" 

"NO YOU LISTEN!" 

My dad's limit finally reached. Sure I'm his daughter but he still can't take someone yelling at him - I've been trying to convince him for a long time. 

"It isn't our decision, it's everyone's decision. Yes, what Julie did isn't deserving for a death penalty. However you have to understand, we're not just considering everyone as a pack it's about the entire kingdom. The hunters or shall I say the human government has been using extremes to stop a word of what happened that night out there. As for us, we have to show that any of those who has breached the alliance WILL face a server punishment - not to mention the amount of deaths we had on our hands. Sweetheart. When you're older, when you find your mate and take over my position. You will understand that sometimes you have to do certain things"

His words… so cold and heartless. I know. I understand why my dad and everyone came to this decision. Yet is it really necessary to - 

"Sweetheart her execution will take place soon why don't you say your final farewells?"

End of Flashback.

"I'm going" 

As I headed down to the dungeons I tried to piece everything together. Julie would never go so far as putting the pack in danger - in fact despite her being stupid at times she would've been smart enough to sense danger. Something is wrong. I know it. If I had the chance to figure it out earlier instead of crying then perhaps it could've reduced her sentence. Now restrained by chains I see Julie in her same attire as she was that night, she still looks beaten up. 

Sensing my presence she looks up weakly. "R-Raine?" Standing by the bars I managed to give her a wave "Hey" - "Do you hate me? For being the cause of all this?" With little hope she asks the question making me annoyed, even though I shouldn't be. 

"I don't hate you. I just hate that guy. Julie, before they take you to the execution room just tell me the truth. Why did you fall for that guy's trap? It's not like you at all" 

Chuckling Julie looks up at me weakly "Does that matter now?" Unable to control myself I punched the bars causing it to rattle loudly "Of course it does! I know you well! You're not the type to fall for blatant traps! Julie why are you being stubborn all of a sudden?!" I can't control my anger, why is she still denying things to this point? "I'm going to die soon, I've already seen Jayden and the others and my parents. They've all questioned me why. I didn't tell them. I can't" 

Her words are confusing me, something behind her voice that is making me uneasy. "So you're willing to die without retaliating? Julie what happened to you?!" The chains that bounded Julie rattled as she moved she stands up and being restrained she was only to stand about half a metre away from me. Yet the most haunting is that smile, the smile she normally gives when she's proud and happy. "I'm really glad to get to see you till the end Raine. Don't get in anymore trouble since I won't be here to take the blame with you" 

Why? How can she still be so confident? It can only be one reason. 

The reason I've been trying to deny all along.

"That Jake is your mate isn't he?" 

From happy to shock her eyes meet mine "H-how" Sighing I closed my eyes. "It wasn't hard, the whole of last week you just acted so out of character. You wouldn't stop talking about Jake - there was just something different about you. Those eyes you look at me with when you talk about him. I thought it was impossible at first but then I remembered. Wolves can have human mates - but it is a rare case. Also they can only find out they're mates after they're eighteen. You met him before you turned eighteen, you turned eighteen the month later. Now you're meeting him again at nineteen. It makes sense" 

She chuckles again, "As expected from you Raine. You're indeed really clever" "Thanks, but I rather not have figured it out. Since what is annoying me is that you're willing to throw your life away for him. One who used you. One that made you not even retaliate against the verdict. You know if you say he's your mate, your sentence would be less. It wouldn't be death" Every word I said was like dirt in my mouth - it was the ugly truth. 

"At the end of the day, he's still my mate. I was made for him and he was made for me. It was just fate that is cruel to us. I know deep down that he loves me, yet hatred and darkness got to him" Suddenly the entrance to the dungeon rattled open - it's time. 

"You can still turn back Julie" I begged yet she simply turns her back on me not wanting to look at me. 

"Raine. Please look after my parents for me, please look after the pack after my selfish acts. Moreover look after yourself. Don't fall the same way I did - when you find your mate. Don't let the ugliness of fate play you two in it's palms" 

Biting my lips as it quivers I blink my tears away. "Do you really think it's worth it?" My voice cracks and she nods even despite not looking at me, not taking one last glance I turn my heels. Walking pass the guards, my dad and the alpha who is ready to give Julie the sentence, hearing the chains rattle as they took Julie out of the cell I didn't look back. Looking back is an act of a fool. As I open the metal door I take my first step out of the dungeons. Walking out of the dungeons I close the doors behind me - the moment the door slammed shut a tear runs down my cheeks. 

From this moment on I'm going to be the stronger version of Raine Avery. 

One who learnt a really big lesson. 

Before you leave please vote or comment below! ^^