The Royal Thrive - Chapter 42 - The End

This is the last chapter before the epilogue! 

I can't believe this book has gone such a long way! I am very thankful to every read, vote and comment! I get slightly emotional to think this book has ended. Then again, every story will end. 

I tried to put a lot of feels into this chapter, but there may still be some grammar and spelling mistakes lying around. 

Yet I will get around to editing it. 

Nevertheless, ENJOY! 

...

Stepping into the chambers that was once so glamorous and lively, in the dark with a light lit in the back, the shrivelled figure of Irene became visible. “You finally came” - Escorted with Michelle I dismiss her to wait for me outside the door. “So you’ve been expecting me” - “Today is the day where I get my punishment. Apart from you, who is willing to see my face again” Hinted with sadness I chuckle - the verdict of Irene’s punishment had been decided by Noah and me along with Nathan and the other officials throughout the palace. 

“That face of yours, disgusts me as usual” “You won’t be seeing anyone’s faces any longer. So I suppose you might want to take a few extra looks” Immediately glaring at me she looks away shortly after, “Nicholas, was he in pain?” “He died very peacefully, we gave him a lot of pain killers so he wasn’t suffering” Suddenly Irene laughs, a long tormented laugh. As if she too is torn between whether she liked the idea of Nicholas leaving without pain - after all, she hated him for causing her so much pain. Yet contradicted herself because she still loves him a lot.

“Where is Nathan?” 

“Nathan is busy.” A bitter smile appear to play on her pale lips, her once brilliant and bright features had turned into nothing but dull. It had only been a month ever since she’s been imprisoned yet the changes in her physically seem to have aged her so much. 

“Does he no longer look at me as his mother?” “Perhaps. However he too had a hand in this decision” Anticipating the result I take in a deep breath, “We have came to the decision to keep you as Queen Irene” 

“What?!” - Her shock in response to my words was what I had expected but this was just the beginning. “You will be imprisoned in this chamber, of course till the day till you die.” “Why… are you not afraid I’m going to fight back?” Chuckling at her, I shake my head, “We followed what King Nicholas wanted. Didn’t he ever tell you? The reason why he made you queen after Queen Elise died?” 

To Irene, she hated Elise for existing, and hated how she was the one who took Nicholas away. If Irene  learnt that it is in fact Elise who requested Nicholas to make Irene the queen, nothing else would hurt her more. Yet that is exactly why, we will be keeping her as Queen Irene. She will never escape the palace that caged her inside, and she will never escape the title that she earned from sympathy. 

“King Nicholas promised Queen Elise at her deathbed to ensure you will become queen, because the two of them owe you happiness” - “Are you suggesting that Nicholas never wanted me to become his queen?!” Furiously she stands up running towards me in order to confront me, but there is no lie in my words. Nicholas may have once loved her but such love didn’t last when Lucy died. The Lucy he once loved. 

“Do you really think, there is any love left after everything?” Grabbing onto my shoulder she shakes me “You’re lying! You’re lying!” 

Shoving her down onto the floor I pat my clothes at the area where she touched. “Of course, Nathan and Noah didn’t like the idea of keeping you in here. However, for the lives that you used and sacrificed. The pain you’re suffering is really just paying back” Tears start to roll down Irene’s cheeks as she look up to me, “Do you hate me?”