Chapter 18

Enid's POV

How did I get out of that? I mean really. One minute they were on top of me, ready to have me for dinner, the next...they weren't.

It was because of Rick. He saved my life...again. I don't know how he got over to me so quickly. I had heard a bunch of gun shots and they were all down.

Man, I really hoped he didn't think I was this little girl who couldn't take care of herself.

"Enid!" Rick's call tore me out of my thoughts.

I didn't see him so he must have already made it over the hill. I started running to catch up to him.

I fell in step beside him.

"So, um," I began. "Thanks for saving me back there."

Rick smiled. "Don't mention it." He looked over at me. "I know why you came with me, Enid."

I looked at him. "You do?"

Rick nodded. "You wanted me to know that I can trust you."

I stared at him for a moment then simply looked away.

"I know I can trust you," he said and I looked at him again. "You're my family."

I smiled at him and we continued walking.

As we got closer to the RV, I saw someone get out and start running towards me.

Carl.

I smiled and had a moment to brace myself before he slammed against me, wrapping me in a bone crushing hug that nearly knocked me to the ground.

I laughed and wrapped my arms around him.

"You're okay," he said, his voice muffled since his face was buried in my shoulder.

I smiled, loving to hear the sound of his voice again.

"Yeah," I said. "I'm okay."

I opened my eyes and saw Lydia walking towards us.

Oh great, I thought. What does she want?

She stood in front of me for a bit, as if expecting us to let go.

When we didn't, she sighed and smiled.

"I'm glad you're back safe," she said.

Wow, something nice? Shocking.

"Thanks," I said simply and she walked off.

Carl and I finally let go. He gave me a quick kiss then went over to hug his dad.

He came back over to me, grabbed my hand, and the three of us walked back to the RV.

At least the trip wasn't for nothing, I thought as I felt the heaviness of my bag from the food and supplies.