Chapter 14

Enid's POV

Rick and I walked through the forest, constantly keeping an eye out for for walkers. Both of us had our knives out and ready.

"Okay," Rick said, causing me to look at him. "The hospital isn't too far away."

I gave him a nod and turned my attention back to what was in front of me.

Suddenly a walker came out from beside me and knocked me to the ground, it falling on top of me.

"Enid!" Rick called.

I put my hands on the walkers chest and pushed, trying to get it off of me, but it didn't let go.

I closed my eyes and pushed harder.

I heard the swish of a knife and the walker fell limp.

I opened my eyes to see Rick removing his knife from the walker's head.

I pushed the walker onto the ground next to me. Rick helped me to my feet.

"Thanks," I panted.

"Don't mention it," he responded. "You bit?"

I shook my head. Rick smiled slightly and nodded. We continued walking.

After about ten minutes, we broke through a tree line and I saw the hospital towering before me.

I stared at it for a moment in amazement at its grandness.

At that moment I really wished Carl was there but I pushed the want away.

At least he's safe, I thought.

"Alright," Rick said. He was right next to me but he sounded a million miles away. "There were about three dozen walkers in there when I left. I don't know if more came while I was away. You ready?"

I tore my eyes away from the hospital to look at him. "Yeah," he said. "I'm ready."

He nodded and we entered the big white building.