Chapter 4

Carl's POV

I was staring out the window as we drove, Enid asleep against me with my arm around her.

I looked at the bathroom, which Glenn had not come out of. Even if one of us needed to go, he would make us stop the RV and go in a bush.

I felt Enid stir beside me. She followed my gaze and sighed.

"He still hasn't come out?" she asked, leaning her head on my shoulder.

I just shook my head. "I'm really worried about him."

"I am, too," she said. "But I get it. Losing your wife must be a really tough deal."

"Yeah," I sighed.

Suddenly, the RV stopped and Enid and I looked at each other quizzically.

My dad came into our section.

"All of us are going on a run," he explained. "Eugene said he saw a hospital not far from here. Now, want you guys to stay and protect the RV and Glenn."

Enid nodded. "You can trust us," she said determinedly.

My dad smiled slightly and nodded. "Okay," he said, "We shouldn't be long." He walked out.

Once everyone was out of sight, Enid stood up.

"Okay," she said. "I'll keep watch outside. You should stay in here, just in case."

I nodded. "Alright," I said and Enid walked out.

After a few minutes of no excitement, I heard a small thump come from the bathroom. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. I stood up and walked over to the door.

"Glenn?" I called. I didn't get an answer which I kinda expected.

I banged on the door. "Glenn!" I said louder.

I sighed, knowing he wasn't going to let me in. I looked around for something I could use to pick the lock.

I found a paper clip and unraveled it. After a few minutes of trying, I finally unlocked the door.

I opened the door to find Glenn. I gaped in horror as I looked down at the lifeless body.