Chapter 11

Carl's POV

I started to see the RV through the trees. Neither Enid or Lydia had said anything since we started walking.

I saw my dad in front of the RV eating a sandwich, his gun next to him.

The three of us eventually broke through the tree line.

My dad turned to look at us and immediately pointed his gun at Lydia when he saw her.

I held my hand up. "It's okay," I said. "She's fine."

I heard Enid scoff behind me but I chose to ignore it.

My dad lowered his gun slowly, the action full of hesitation.

I sighed in relief and turned to face Lydia, ignoring the now familiar tiny butterflies.

"Dad, this is Lydia. Lydia, this is my dad, Rick," I said.

Lydia nodded to him politely.

I walked over to Enid and put my hand on her gun, indicating for her to lower it.

Enid gave me a hard stare then lowered it.

My dad walked up to Lydia.

"So what's your story?" he asked.

Lydia fiddled with her hands as she talked. "I've been alone for three months now. My daily routine is this: I avoid killers, killing them when I need to, find food and water when I can, find a sturdy tree, and sleep on one of its branches. Then the cycle repeats the next day."

My dad nodded, looking impressed. He then walked over to me while Enid guarded him, continuing to point her gun at Lydia.

My dad and I walked far enough away where the girls couldn't hear us.

"What do you think?" my dad asked.

"I think we should take her in," I said. "She seems to be telling the truth."

My dad nodded and focused on a point behind me. "I'll ask her the three questions, and if her answers are to my liking, she's welcome to be part of the group."

I nodded and we walked back over to the girls.

My dad walked over to Lydia once again.

"I just have to ask you a few questions," he told her.

Lydia nodded. "Okay," she said.

"Killers, we call them walkers, how many have you killed?"

"Ummmm," Lydia said as she thought. She finally sighed in defeat. "I can't remember. I haven't been keeping count."

My dad nodded. "How many people have you killed?"

Lydia thought for a moment then said, "I haven't been keeping count of that either. But a lot."

My dad narrowed his eyes at her. "Why?" he asked.

"They were gonna kill me," she said quietly.

My dad's face softened. He obviously understood.

"Alright," he said. "You're welcome to join the group if you want to."

Lydia's face lit up. "Thank you!" she said. "You won't regret it, I promise."

My dad laughed quietly. "Yeah," he said. "I know."

He guided Lydia into the RV to introduce her to everyone.

I looked over at Enid. Her face was twisted in disgust.

I walked over to her and grabbed her hand. She looked at me and gave me her signature glare.

"Hey," I said. "What is your deal with her? She seems cool."

Her face softened slightly. "I guess," she said.

She pulled her hand out of mine and walked into the RV.