Chapter 19

Carl's POV

There were two reasons that Enid and I slept in the same bed. Reason one: there wasn't exactly enough room on the RV for everyone to have their own bed. Reason two: it kind of comforted me knowing that Enid was safe beside me.

We were both sleeping with her arm around my torso, and mine around her shoulders.

I awoke to the feeling of someone lightly shaking me.

"Carl!" the female voice whispered.

After whispering my name a few more times, I eventually rubbed my eye and looked to see who it was.

"Lydia?" I said tiredly.

"Shh!" she said, putting a finger to her mouth and waved her hand, gesturing for me to come with her.

"What time is it?" I said quietly, continuing to rub my eye.

"Who cares?" she whispered. "Come on!"

I looked at Enid, afraid of waking her. Luckily, she was a heavy sleeper. I slowly and gently slid out of her arms and stood up.

"Now can you tell me where we're going?" I asked, wondering why she would wake me up so early.

Instead of answering my question, she whispered, "Abraham is on watch outside the RV, so we'll have to sneak past him." She then started walking towards the door, not giving me a chance to respond.

I sighed and followed her.

Once we snuck past Abraham, a very difficult task, Lydia led me into the forest and we just started walking.

I still felt a little awkward being with her after our last conversation, but it was slowly fading.

Lydia suddenly stopped walking and laid down, looking at the stars.

I just stared at her, wondering what in God's name she was doing.

She eventually looked at me expectantly.

"Well come here," she said as if it were obvious.

I slowly obeyed her command, laying down next to her.

We simply just stared at the night sky for a few minutes.

"So," I began, looking at her. "Why are we doing this?"

She didn't look at me, just continued to stare at the sky.

"Isn't it funny how we always think space is so far away. Yet here it is," she said, gesturing to the sky. "Right in front of us."

I looked back at the sky, trying to see it in the figurative way that Lydia did.

"I don't know," she said, laughing. "Just a random observation I made."

I turned to look at her again. "Is this what you wanted to show me?"

The enthusiasm drained from her face. "No," she said.

She slowly sat up and brushed the leaves from her blond hair.

I sat up as well and looked at her.