Chapter 16

Enid's POV

There were definitely more walkers in the hospital then when Rick left.

As we walked through the halls, the herd started to become too large.

Rick ended up pulling me into one of the hospital rooms and he locked the door.

He started to pull the bed sheets off the beds.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"We gotta make ourselves look and smell like the walkers in order to be able to walk among them," he explained.

"How are we gonna do that?" I asked.

Rick put up his index finger, indicating for me to wait.

He ripped a hole in the middle of each of the sheets. He brought one of the sheets over to me and put my head through the hole, making me look like a ghost.

He did the same thing to himself then went over to the door and unlocked it.

He walked out into the hall and I heard him kill a walker.

He dragged the walker into the room and relocked the door.

"We have to cut the walker open and spread the guts on the sheets so we look and smell like them," he explained.

Numb to how gross it sounded, I nodded stiffly.

Rick nodded back and took out his axe. He immediately slammed it into the walker's stomach and ripped it open.

He then put the axe down and walked into one of the side rooms, coming back out with two pairs of latex gloves.

He handed a pair to me and we both put them on.

"Ready?" Rick asked.

"Yeah," I breathed.

We both kneeled down and reached into the walker's stomach, pulling out its guts and spreading on our bed sheets.

It took me everything I had not to puke.

Once we spread enough guts on our sheets, we stood up and walked over to the door.

"Remember," Rick reminded me. "For the walkers to see you as one of them, you have to walk like them and sound like them."

I nodded and we walked out of the room.

I immediately started limping, dragging my right foot behind me.

I made short eye contact with the walkers I passed, becoming increasingly more paranoid that I wasn't being a good enough walker.

We eventually made it down to the cafeteria where we saw some food and medical supplies.

I looked at Rick and he nodded slightly.

Rick limped over to the food while I went over to the supplies, slowly stuffing them into my bag under my sheet.

Once I was done, I turned to face Rick, who was still loading up.

As I turned, my knife fell out of its holster and I cursed, reaching down to pick it back up.

When I stood back up, I saw walkers walking towards me, growling.

Oh crap, they must have heard me curse.

I struggled for my knife, but the walkers ambushed me, knocking me to the floor.

About seven walkers fell on top of me.