Chapter 86

A Baby Mockingjay 86

Chapter 86
•Katniss' POV•

I wake up and notice Peeta is gone, then remember him feeding me the soup. I look at Willow who is still in sleep. I force myself to sit up, pain surging through me so I collapse back to my side as Peeta slides into the cave. I grabs Will and me and drags us to the corner.

"You left! You said you wouldn't!" I exclaim but he slaps his hand over my mouth and puts a finger to his mouth.

"What is it?" I whisper, hearing the large foot step smashing branches.

"Mutt." Peeta says. I hear Willow moan and Peeta slap his hand over her mouth. I hear a growl and then the mutt run off. Peeta lets go of me and I slide down to the ground my body in pain.

"I got the pack." Peeta says lifting my head into his lap as he reaches for the pack, I smile and reach for his hand, holding onto it as he opens the pack. He pulls out a container than opens it and reads a note.

"~The Hawthorne family"

"It's from Gale, Naomi, and Jack." I smile. Peeta nods and smiles at me, I guess that means they're alive and not dead. But what happened to them that they gave up Willow? Peeta lifts me up to sit on his lap and lean back against his chest. He hands me a small, circular red pellet.

"Take this." Peeta tells me. I take it from his hand and place it in my mouth. It's hard to chew but I manage to. After a while I feel a bit of relief from the pain. I'm actually able to hold my daughter now without feeling much pain at all.

"I heard cannons, who died?" I ask.

"Alana and someone else." I just nod and watch as my daughter falls asleep in my arms.

"Thank you Peeta, for everything." I say sleepily, still sitting on his lap. He wraps his arms around me, resting his hands on my belly.

"How's everything in there?" He says, resting his head on my shoulder.

"Great." I smile.

"Do you think it's a boy or girl?" I ask.

"I want a boy, but I love it anyways, even now." I say.

"Are you tired?" Asks Peeta. I nod and he helps me to the ground, laying me down on my back, he leans down and kisses my lips then pulls away. He looks at Willow who's asleep before kissing my swollen belly. I looked 6 months pregnant, but I'm only two.

"What if the child isn't developing quickly?" I say sleepily to Peeta.

"What do you mean?"

"What if it's not just one baby?"