Chapter 63

A Baby Mockingjay 63

Chapter 63
•Peeta's POV•

I watch as Katniss dozes off after the anthem finishes. I lean her up against the wall, you touching her swollen belly, I smile, our second child was with us in the arena, that scared me, but at least I know she's okay. I know that Katniss wishes for it to be a boy, but I really want a girl. I know Willow is a girl but still. I put a light kiss on Katniss' belly then one on her lips before setting up the sleeping bag and blanket. I look back to Katniss, she was shivering. I reach to zip up her jacket when I notice Cypress' necklace around her neck. I smile and kiss her. She still wore her Mockingjay pin. I lift her up and set her in the sleeping bag and wrap her in the blanket. I know the careers will be out now that it's not bellow freezing, I have to watch. I'm going to make sure Katniss gets out alive even if it means my own life. I look to her, she sleeps peacefully, I think back to when I threw her the bread, she wouldn't have been alive now if I hadn't done that, and now I'm going to make sure she stays alive, at all risks, even my life for hers and my unborn child inside her. I look back at Katniss, I really just wanted to crawl in next to her and hold her tight, knowing she's okay.

I get tired but I don't dare to wake Katniss so she can take her watch. I crawl into the sleeping bag beside her and wrap my arms around her, connecting my hands at her belly. I hope she doesn't wake up, then she'll begin to insist she take her watch.

I feel a bump, did the baby kick?! I smile and kiss Katniss' cheek before dozing into sleep.