Chapter 85

A Baby Mockingjay 85

Chapter 85

•Peeta's POV•

I take one last look at my family before leaving the cave, sword in hand. I trek towards the cornucopia as the darkness takes over the arena. I trek carefully along, carefully placing my feet to not step on anything that will make a sound. When I reach the cornucopia I stay hidden in a bush till a table with packs appears at the mouth of the cornucopia. I'm about to run out when Marona, the only one left from District 10 jumps from the top of the cornucopia, landing like a cat, grabbing her pack and running away. If I don't go in soon, someone might take the back. There were only one pack per District, there was 2, 3, 4, and 12. I run out, jumping to grab the pack marked 12, sliding across the table. It was to easy, something isn't right. Just then I am tackled and pined by Alana. I thrash and try and get free. She had her spear clutched between he teeth. She throws it next to her and grins.

"Is that for Katniss?" She hisses but I don't answer.

"It is, isn't it! Where is she, huh? We're pretty close, remember?" She says, her face insanely close to mine. I try and reach my sword but she pushes my arm into the ground and shakes her head with a grin.

"I guess if Katniss is dying, she won't mind if I do... this!" Alana says before smashing her lips into mine, my eyes widen and she pull away.

"I'll take this." She grins, taking her spear, and my pack. I jump up from the ground and tackle her, I punch her and try to get the pack but it doesn't work. I take her spear and throw it away from her reach. I punch her across the face, making her nose bleed, she screams, I know this could trigger any career to come to her rescue, Ermin, Bolt, or even worse, Slate. I slap my had over her mouth, and shake my head, mocking her.

"Give me the pack, and I won't kill you." I say, holding my sword she looks at me then towards the cornucopia, I do the same and see a large four legged creature, its black with red eyes, it look as if it has two knees in the front, its looking at us, growling and baring its teeth. I hop up, her behind me. I rip the pack from her hand and run to a tree and climb it.

"Peeta! Peeta please help me!" Alana yells to me, she's trying to get up the tree, she didn't have her spear. I hear a cannon and another mutt with blood on its jaws runs up to the other. I take Alana's hand and try to pull her up, but her leg is pulled by a mutt, pulling us both down. I catch hold of the tree and try and pull Alana back up but the mutts pull her from my grasp. She's screaming in pain till her cannon sounds, signifying her death. I watch Ermin run into the cornucopia with two tridents, one in his hand and other between his teeth. The mutts run towards me, giving me the chance to run and find my family.