Chapter 44

A Baby Mockingjay 44

Chapter 44

"Alice!" I exclaim, running to her. She falls into my arms, crying.

"What's wrong?" I ask

"The careers, they got Jackson. T-they found me." She says. She coughs, blood splattering onto the white snow.

"What did they do?" I ask.

"They killed Jackson, t-then the cut my ch-chest." She says. I pull her jacket out of the way revealing the fresh cut across her chest. I feel my throat tighten. She coughs again.

"Alice, it'll all be okay." I say, but we all know that's not true. She's dying, we are loosing her now.

"Katniss, I'm scared." She says through tears, her voice cracking.

"Shh... It'll be okay, trust me." I tell her.

"I'm going to be w-with Jackson when I-I die, r-right?" Alice stutters. I nod as tears begin to well in my eyes.

"Katniss," she begins, I look at her forcing a smile, she was having a hard time breathing.

"I-I'm gonna miss... You a-and ... Peeta." She says. Peeta takes hold of one of Alice's hands. She's only 12. Jackson was only 12, this was all unfair.

"Hey, everything will be alright." Peeta says softly. She just nods, I know that we are loosing the poor girl. I take hold of her free hand, I lean down and place a soft kiss on her forehead as if she were my own daughter. She holds my hand to her chest, a tear falls down her cheek as she takes her last breath.

"I'm so sorry Alice." I say, I plant one last kiss on her forehead before letting go of her hand and walking back as her cannon sounds. The hover craft comes down and takes her body away. I bury my face in Peeta's chest, I feel like I'm gonna cry but nothing happens.

"Head back to the camp, I finish getting the water." Peeta tells me. I shake my head.

"I need to watch your back of your gonna do this." I tell him. He lets out a breath and finishes filling the last of the canteen. We make our way back the cave, our canteens full. I was still upset about Alice. She was only 12. I grab my pack and dig through it till I find the back of dried fruit. I pull out a large piece of banana and nibble on it.

"Are you okay?" Peeta asks. I nod and continue to nibble on my dried banana. We spend most of the day in the cave, talking and sleeping. A few rabbits pass by the cave so I am able to kill them.

"Come on." Peeta says, he was at the small mouth of the cave.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"We need to get out of here eventually. At least see a bit of the arena." Peeta says.

"Peeta, this is a fight to the death! We can't just stroll around!" I exclaim.

"We won't go far from the cave." Peeta insists.

"We'll leave tracks in the snow." I say, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Please! No!" I hear someone scream. The voice was so familiar.

Cypress.