Chapter 49

A Baby Mockingjay 49

Chapter 49

I awake to people outside, I'm confused then fear consumes me, I'm in the hunger games, there are people, careers most likely. I look at Peeta and Cypress who are asleep. I carefully get out of the sleeping bag, I put the black night vision glasses on and grab a few knives. I creep towards the front of the cave carefully. I peak through the front of the cave, carefully not to be seen. It's Diamond and Velvet. I crawl out of the cave carefully, and over to a pile of rocks hoping to blend in with them. It was completely dark out, making it easier to hide in all black clothes.

"I thought you said you heard her over here!" Diamond snarls at Velvet.

"I did! I swear, that District 7 girl went this way also! There was blood in the snow over there!" Velvet snaps back. What kind of name is Velvet? I try and get closer to the rocks, but hit the knives against it, making a thud sound. My eyes widen and it all I can do not to gasp. I watch as the two come towards me. I don't think they have noticed me yet. My ankle is grabbed and I am pulled from the rocks, loosing my grip on the knives. I scream but one of them slaps their hand over my mouth. Diamond sits on me, her knees holding down my arms.

"Hey fire girl." Velvet hisses. She had the bow! I thrash, kicking my legs, trying to get away. Velvet moves her hand from my mouth and hands Diamond a sword.

"Should I go get Slate, he'd like this." Velvet grins.

"No, he'll see her in the sky tonight." Diamond tells her, she holds the sword to my neck, in the little light there was, I could see the smile on her face.

"Where's your ally, Peeta." Diamond growls.

"He's here!" I spat. "Peeta! Peeta!" I scream before Velvet slaps her hand over my mouth. I continue to try and call for him. I lick Velvet's hand, making her fly back.

"Peeta! Cypress!" I scream as loud as I can before Diamond pushes her arm down on my throat, making it hard for me to say anything. I hear the snow being crunched as if someone was running then Diamond is tackled off me. Cypress is quickly at my side with the mini hatchet in her hand. She helps me to my feet but turns just in time to swing the hatchet at Velvet who was coming from her right, cutting off her head. I gasp. How did she know she was coming? She can't see. I see Peeta wrestling with Diamond. I take the sliver bow from her and an arrow. I turn to where Peeta and Diamond are, Diamond hand Peeta pined and as choking him. I send an arrow into her back, she freezes and fall off Peeta. Their cannons boom, signaling their deaths. I run to Peeta's side, he's coughing and trying to catch his breath again.

"Peeta." I murmur.

"Are you okay?" He asks, placing his hand on the side of my face. I place my hand on top of his.

"Yeah I'm fine." I tell him.

"Here." Cypress says handing me the quiver of arrows.

"Thank you. You never said you could use an ax." I smile, still holding onto Peeta's hand.

"I'm from district 7, I kind of have to know!" Cypress laughs. I help Peeta up and take them both to the cave. I shove all I can into 3 packs.

"Come on, we have to move." I command. The nod, we walk to the waterfall, leaving Silver's pack and the one empty bag of dried fruit behind, along with 3 knives. I give all the knives to Cypress because I now have a bow. I grab the sword Diamond had a give it to Peeta so we all have protection. We move down stream, looking for another place to set up camp. I find a little area with rocks that will due for the rest of the night. Tomorrow, we'll find a safer place. I get Cypress and Peeta to go to sleep, but I refuse to.

"Katniss, are you okay?" Peeta asks, coming up behind me.

"I miss Willow." I say, almost breaking into tears.

"And your going to see her soon." Peeta tells me. I look at him, sadness filling my eyes. I let the tears poor over, I hide in his chest till I have dozed off.