Chapter 33.

Monique.

"So, do you think you will remember what you have been taught?" My manager asked me.

"Yeah. No problem." I said confidently.

I had got a job working in a bar. It was called "Locals" and was just that. Local to everything in the area. A lot of people wanted to work here because it was a popular place.

They were very strict on appearance. So not any and everyone could work here.

I needed this job. It was something new, something fresh. It kept me busy, stopped me from overthinking. I had been doing that a lot lately.

Not as if there was anything else I could do. I had no friends, my sister hated me, my dad has disappeared off the face of the earth, my step dad doesn't talk to me, my mums disappointed in me. I have no boyfriend and if all of that wasn't bad enough my brothers in jail.

The day he asked me to change my statement I was fuming. How dare he?
But I looked at him and I saw that he was willing to go jail for this girl. I didn't even hate her anymore. I was tired of hating and tired of being angry.

I did as my brother asked. I made up that my baby was still alive when I went to the hospital and that it was actually me stressing. I told them she never touched my body just hit me in the face a couple times.

I don't know if it was enough to get her out of jail but I know I did my part. My focus now was making something of myself and making things right. I had tried to make a truce and get the family together but that never worked. I was quite disappointed. I know I have fucked up. But I really want to make things right and they weren't even willing to meet me half way.

"Right! Let's go!" My manager said as myself and three other girls joined the rest of the team at the bar. I was surprised that there was more guys than girls. I was even surprised to see a familiar face. It was Miles.

"What you doing here?" He asked me.

"My first night working here..." I said. "...you work here too?" I added. He nodded

"Yep."

"Right. I want the trainees to shadow you lot today. Take one each. We are short staffed tonight so if you feel they are learning quite quickly feel free to let them work." The manager said.

As I was already standing next to Miles I paired with him. He was actually a good barman and he had me learning the ropes very quickly.

"I can't believe you work." I said still surprised.

"Yeah. Not everyone traps like your brother." He said. I noticed the tone in how he said that.

"What happened between you two? You two used to be so close." I said to him.

"Yeah we did. So close I said to him I want him to look out for my baby sis when I'm not around. Turns out he was the wrong person to ask."

"Chanel?"

"Yup."

"But she's not even really your blood sister."

"Why does that make a difference? Does your blood family members treat you any better?" He asked. I put my head down.

"Everyone likes her. I don't see what's so special."