Preference #100: Early Mornings

Harry: Sunlight was just peeking through the windows, creating a glow around his body, almost angelic. His chest rose steadily up and down, the curls atop his head falling down around his face. Slowly, you awoke, the world still fuzzy with sleep. It was the first night sleeping next to him in months, and it was almost surreal. As if he’d disappear again if you closed your eyes. So you laid and simply looked at him, admiring his strong features, subdued in his slumber. Your fingers appeared so small while tracing the two sparrows on his chest. Gently, you outlined the birds, seeing the goosebumps rise on his skin. Looking back at him with drowsy eyes, you smiled to yourself, elated, humbled, to have him beside you again. Then as if he was a giant shaking the earth, he on stretched out his spindly limbs and opened his eyes and muttered a gravelly “good morning, beautiful.”

Liam: Your eyes shot open, making you aware of the sharp pain in your neck. Around you and Liam lay the remnants of the previous night. Opened bags of candy and popcorn were littered on the ground, the sixth movie buzzing on the screen. Beneath you, Liam lay asleep, quietly snoring. Rubbing the ache away, you stood up, scanning the room with a fond smile. The laughter still rang in your head, turning your smile into a grin. It was a simple night, yet it brought you so much joy. Away from the lifestyle: the lights, the screaming, the scrutiny. You found yourself wanting nothing more than to wake up next to him every morning, to love him every day, because no matter what else happened, he was all you needed. People could call you naive, but it was the truth. You were ready to throw everything away for him, because he’d do the same for you. When everything else is gone, he is there, he is constant.

Louis: The sun was yet to rise, but he was leaving again. Another tour, another eight month stretch without him. But this was his life, his dream, you couldn’t stop him. His suitcase was closed up, waiting by the door. “Hey, Paul’s downstairs waiting,” he started. Before he could finish, you cut him off with your lips, keeping the dreaded words away from your ears. Savoring the kiss, you pulled away, resting your forehead against his. “I just have one thing to ask. Don’t forget me?” you requested. Holding you close, he replied, “How could I? Nothing in the world could make me forget you,” stroking your head, soothing you. You were a big girl, you’d be fine, at least that’s what you tried convincing yourself. So you waved from the window, smiling, but that didn’t change the fact that you’d be gasping for breath that night, tears spilling over. That there would be a aching pit, deep in your heart, waiting to be filled, waiting for him.

Niall: It was just a party. Just a party. Powering through the headache, you tried remembering past ten o’clock, to no avail. You had no explanation as to why you woke up next to your best friend with half of your clothes missing. “Niall,” you groaned, “Wake up, Niall.” Grudgingly, he rolled over onto his side to face you. “Yes?” His tone matched yours. Rubbing his temples, he asked, “What time is it?” Fumbling around the nightstand to find your phone, you read 7:56 am. “Too early,” he mumbled, eyes half closed. “What even happened last night? Did you drive us back here?” Exhaling, he put together some incoherent response about a cab. “Nothing happened, we were too drunk. Right now my head kills,” he trailed off, “c’mere. If we’re gonna sleep it off, better start now.”

Zayn: You had been told of the “joys of parenting,” but no amount of advice had prepared you for what life was like now.  By day, things were peaceful. She was cooed at, cradled, praised. But by night, your newborn girl took the opportunity to wake you up at ungodly hours. Tonight was no exception. Both you and Zayn lay asleep in an exhausted heap, cherishing the little rest you had nowadays. Then the dreaded whine rang through the baby monitor beside you. That whine that grows into the soft crying and whimpering that drags you out of your room nightly. Pushing the cover aside, you feel your feet hit the cold ground before you’re pulled back. “I got it,” Zayn mumbled. You heard him shuffle down the hall, sighing in relief when her cries subsided. When he returned, you were surprised to see your daughter in his arms. “Maybe this’ll keep her quiet,” he said. You felt the mattress sink with his weight, followed by her little body placed in between you two. So you all fell back asleep, in the comfort of your new love.