Preference #97: Road Trip

Niall: Stopping at a red light in what seemed like a ghost town, you looked over at Niall, “Why don’t we get out and ask for directions?" Swatting a hand your way, he shook his head, almost offended you’d even think he was lost. “We don’t need them, no no. I’m just taking the scenic route home. We’ll be there in no time." Looking to your left, all you saw was abandoned shops and tiny homes with the paint peeling. Letting Niall’s ego carry you on your way, you drove further and further from the miniscule town, finding yourselves on a bumpy road nestled in a mess of overgrown plants and dandelions. You were lost, and there wasn’t an excuse this time. No scenic route would give off the aura of a horror film. Resting your hand atop his, you suggested again that you two ask for help. Looking at you with puppy eyes and wounded pride, he silently nodded. “Can you just promise me one thing? When my parents ask, make sure you tell them we got there without any problems, okay? I’ve got a reputation to hold up."

Louis: "Get up, sleepyhead! We’re leaving," you heard Louis call, throwing you the first outfit he could reach. “Louis," you grumbled, rubbing your eyes, “do you have any idea what time it is? If anyone should understand the importance of sleep it’s - "  At the foot of your bed, Louis was already bright eyed and ready to take on the day, obviously withholding his plans from you. “Do you wanna tell me what’s going on?" you asked, clinging to the comfort of your bed. “We’re going on an adventure today. We’re gonna get in the car and drive." Not convinced, you buried yourself beneath the covers, “Not until you tell me where," you whined. “Does it matter where? We’re getting away, let’s go get lost. Just you and me," he argued, dragging you out of bed. Giving in, you got up, trying to match his enthusiasm. “That’s it! Aren’t you excited? We can do anything, you know. We can go down to Brighton and just sit on the docks and look at boats or we can drive all the way back home and surprise everyone or, or, it’s gonna be amazing, trust me," he trailed off, tugging you out the door.

Harry: Watching the sun go down over the clumped houses in the distance, you leaned back against the windshield of the Range Rover beside Harry. It was picturesque, really. A cliff looking over a quaint little town, enough darkness around to give you a clear view of the glittering stars overhead. It wasn’t something you came across everyday. “Where are we?" you asked, barely above a whisper. “It’s like a movie, isn’t it?" It was almost too pretty, something too beautiful to be replicated by any island, any resort, any amount of money. “I’m really glad you brought me here," you whispered, nestling your head into the crook of his neck. Smiling smugly to himself, he simply hummed in response, too proud of his plans to ruin the mood with his clumsy tongue. “Do you wanna go home soon? It’s gonna get dark," you asked. “No," he replied simply, pulling your body on top of his, “Let’s sleep here and stay here forever. Sound like a plan?" Resting your head on his chest, you smiled fondly, replying, “Sounds like a plan."

Zayn: "Why don’t you let me drive for a bit? You’ve had quite the day already," you offered to a sleepy Zayn at the wheel. “That," he mumbled, “Sounds like a fantastic idea." Stopping at the side of the quiet road, you both opened your doors into the darkness, jogging around the car to settle in the opposite spot. “Thank you so much," he breathed, letting his body fall against the seat. “You know, I had a lot of fun today. I really enjoyed myself," you said, thanking him for the little excursion. “Yea?" he asked. “Of course." Not even minutes into the ride, you found yourself only accompanied by the faint music playing in the car and his soft snores, the subtle circles beneath his eyes showing his fatigue. He seemed more at peace in the soft glow of the lights on the dashboard. When you took a moment to think about it, he went through so much every day yet was still able to put time into being with you. Although his sleep was too precious for you to stir him, you just wanted to thank him for sticking around. It was almost a debt that couldn’t be returned, but you were determined to try, each and every day. 

Liam: Slowing the car down to a stop, he announced, “Welcome to your destination. To your right, you’ll find one of the largest trees in all of England." Stepping out and looking at him questioningly, he admitted, “Okay, you got me, it’s just an ordinary tree, but it’s a nice looking place, innit?" Shooting him a smile, you agreed. “Yea, it’s amazing. What do we do now?" Peering at the few people scattered around the park, you decided to settle beneath the tree, which was, by the way, quite a sight to see. Although not the largest, it did provide you and Liam with enough entertainment to carry you through the day. There was no feeling of time, your bad jokes and random stories and daydreams and cuddles and kicking stray balls back to little kids enough to carry you through the day. It was just a nice change of pace, a little escape from the countless cities to visit and fans to see and interviews to do and it was just nice. Yea, it was nice under the not largest tree in England with Liam.