Preference #64: You take your child for shots

Harry - “Hopefully she won’t scream?” He said, more like questioning you as you guys got out of the car at the doctor’s office. “Mama.” Your 3 year old cooed to you as you pulled her out of her seat. You two waited for about 30 minutes, before getting called back. “2 shots today is that right?” Harry nodded and smiled, as she curled up in his lap. She began wiping down her arm as you handed her her favorite teddy bear. “Knock on wood.” Harry said, crossing your fingers together and seeing the needle go into her skin. And she didn’t scream at all. You looked at Harry, astonished. “I have GOT to tell mom.” You said, smiling as she woman handed your baby a lollipop.

Liam - “My babies have to get shots today.” Liam cooed to your 5 week old sons as they sucked their pacifiers as they laid in their seats in front of you. You bent down and caressed one of your babies faces with your index as Liam put his arm around you. “This isn’t going to be enjoyable.” You said, giving them the puppy face as Liam sighed. “I know, but it’ll be over fast.” As soon as he said that, you two were called back. As soon as you walked in the room, the atmosphere felt weird. You sat their carriers down and got them out, as Liam kissed their heads for good luck. “Aww, they are precious.” The nurse cooed, lifting their shirts up and sighing. I squinted as the first needle went in, the wailing began. She shot the other one and I almost cried like them. “It’s all over, sssh ssh.” Liam said, cradling his sons and kissing them.

Niall - “My little Irish cupcake.” Niall cooed to your baby girl, playing with her little ponytail as she fidgeted with the strings on Niall’s hoodie. “She’ll be fine.” You tried to reassure him, rubbing his back as he stroked her cheek. “I hate hearing her cry, so this will suck.” You were about to say something when you were called back. You sighed as Niall kissed her head and sat in the chair across from her, of course you were left to try and pin down a grumpy one year old. “Who’s ready for shots?” The nurse said, Niall shook his head as your little one just stayed calm. She began wiping down your toddler’s chunky arm and you held tight to her leg as she began whimpering. Soon the wailing began as the needle went in. You looked back and Niall was covering his ears, “All done!” The nurse said, putting a Mickey Mouse bandaid on her and smiling. You picked her up and rocked her as Niall walked ahead of you. “Pure torture.”

Louis - “Now, promise daddy you’ll go in there and take that shot like a boss?” Louis said to your 4 year old, as he giggled and put his tiny fist to his dad’s and Louis smiled. “Louis, you have ruined this child.” You said, as your boy tried to get you to pound his fists too. “He’s just a big daddy’s boy!” As Louis did the airplane with your child, you two were called back. The nurse weighed your little one and checked him for everything else before she began putting the shot together. “Remember.” Louis said again, as he leaned against the wall. You shook your head and took his tiny hands into yours. “Squeeze if it hurts.” You said to him, and he nodded. The needle went in and he made a face, a tear leaking out of his eye. As you finished, Louis kissed your cheek. “I guess he takes pain like his mummy.” You gasped and hit his arm as he laughed.

Zayn - Your little girl was asleep in your lap as you and Zayn were waiting in the tiny waiting room. You sighed and looked down at your baby, who was lightly snoring, which made you smile and look at Zayn. “I’m scared she’ll cry.” You giggled and took his hand in between yours. “If she’s asleep, she won’t feel a thing.” Your name was called and Zayn grabbed her bag and we made our way back. You layed her down and she turned over, still asleep. You saw Zayn crossing his fingers as the nurse wiped down her arm and getting the needle ready. You put your hand over his and as the needle went in, you felt him tense up. You smiled as it was over and she placed a small, pink bandaid on her arm. Zayn picked her up as you two left the office. “See? She’s a sleeper just like you.” You said to him, kissing his cheek as he laughed.