Worrying Sucks

Jess's POV

After a week, Bee had texted me and called me countless times. But I only replied to one. It was an update on how Sophia was doing for Jade and Lola.

However, I did agree to meet her today. Next to a comic book store near our houses. In about 10 minutes.

I walked slowly to Sophia who was on the sofa looking through her phone at pictures of Theo.

"Hey.. is it alright if I meet up with Lily at the comic store?"

She whipped her head around, obviously not expecting to see me there.

"Um.. y-yeah sure," she replied."You wanna stay over there tonight?"

"Nah, I wanna stay here with you. I'll cook dinner for tonight. You look tired." I smiled and hugged Sophia when she tried to protest.

"Thank you so much for being so patient. I haven't been much help these past few days." Sophia said and tightened her grip on me slightly.

"It's alright, mum." I reassured her and pulled away. She put her hands on my shoulders.

"Now go have fun with Lily, okay?" Sophia smiled and let me walk to the door.

"I will!" I shouted back when I reached outside. Crap, I've got 6 minutes to run there unless I want Bee to interrogate me about my whereabouts.

-very short time skip 'cause author is lazy af-

I bent over and coughed a bit. I was breathing heavily when I felt a hand caressing my back.

"Jess, wow, you okay?" Bee's voice filled my ears.

"Yeah, I'm great,"I coughed again.Geez, attractive.

When I looked up, all confidence and that pep talk I gave myself while running to act cool flew out the window.

Bee. Looked. Stunning.

Seriously, if this is how she looks on a daily basis then I'm one lucky idiot.

I obviously must've been staring and not talking 'cause she waved in front of my eyes abruptly.

"Hello? Earth to Jess?" Bee said with a confused look.

I adjusted my hair in self-consciousness and scratched the back of my neck."Uhhh, hey wanna look inside the store?"

She nodded and shrugged, taking my hand. We walked in and noticed that nobody was really in here apart from a few people at the back.

"Ooo, Deadpool," Bee said and skipped, fucking skipped, to the section where the people were.

"Woah, woah, woah, socializing was not on my to-do list today," I said as confidently as I could while being dragged by my girlfriend.

"You don't have to say hi, plus they look cool, you might like them,"Bee said back.

I sighed and we reached the group of people. Two of them were boys, arguing about something. The other one was a girl, looking annoyed but browsing through the comic books by her side.

"Hey! I'm Bee, this is Jasmine and we thought you seemed friendly," Bee started and the girl immediately looked up and smiled.

"Us? Well I never knew we looked cool. Nice name, by the way. I'm Becky, Oliver's the one with glasses and Hadley's the third one."

Ollie looked at us as soon as his names were said and began to stutter. He pushed up his glasses and came up to me.

"I'm p-pretty sure I-I know you. What's y-your last name?" Oliver asked and scanned my face, as if to make sure of something.

"Um," I looked to Bee and silently asked for which surname I should use.

"Matthews," I replied, answering my own question when I realized who I was talking to.

"Oh my gosh, it's you!" Ollie looked overjoyed.

"Ollie? Wow, you've changed so much!" I now grinned back at my old best friend.

We hugged and talked for a few minutes then came to realization that we were still in front of people.

"Oh, sorry, Bee, this is Ollie. He used to go with me to my private school until.. y'know," I smiled at Bee and she turned to Ollie.

"Nice to meet you," Bee said with a friendly grin. Ollie smiled back and we all began walking around the comic store.

"Wait so what made you disappear?" Ollie asked with a curious tone and pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

"Sexuality problems and the family, you know, the normal stuff," I shrugged and stopped to look at some Batman posters.

"Huh, I was gonna come over that night but I heard shouting and decided that it wasn't the best time," Ollie looked at me, seeming to take in my features after all these years. "I sent you a text to see if you were alright but I never got a reply."

"I didn't bring my phone in case they would try and track me," I said casually and moved on from the poster section.

"You look tired.. you always scratch your arm when you're worried. What's the matter?" Ollie stopped me by the shoulders and fixed me with a serious stare.

I blinked once at him and I was going to ask how the hell he knew about my tick then decided to ask later.

"My non-biological dad is dead and I've left his wife in such a state. I feel like crap."

He gave me a sympathetic look. "Sorry for your loss.."

"It's okay, I just don't feel like she's doing well and I'm so selfish. Spending time with my girlfriend when I should be taking care of her."

Speaking of, I saw Hadley laughing and chasing after said girl in the pastel pink dress.

I giggled and Ollie sighed, running a hand through his messy hair. "We should get back to them. Becky must be living absolute hell taking care of those two."

I nodded in agreement and we walked to the trio in silence, just like all those walks to school.