So Long And Goodnight

Jades POV

A week after that,we were still in our hometown and I decided to walk to Lola's old house for a change instead of driving as both of us were going to visit her mum's grave.

She promised to try not to cry though I knew it would be incredibly hard for her.As I reached her front door,I looked at my outfit in her dad's car window.I was wearing a black dress with a red collar at the top,followed by a red tie tied around the collar.My red hair was tied into a side bun with a net covering half my face.I smiled,satisfied and knocked on her door softly.

Lola opened the door and smiled at me.She was wearing a black dress with a white flowery pattern around the hem and collar,which was also white.I smiled even more as I realized that the dress was her mum's favorite and she bought it for Lola before college.

Her hair was still black,but had a purple highlight in the cowslick.She wasn't wearing any accessories apart from a steampunk style ring around her left ring finger.

She grabbed my arm and said goodbye to her dad and Liberty before walking out the door with me on the way to the church where her mum was laying.

As soon as we reached the gravestones,Lola walked over to a particular one which caught my attention.While the others were either covered in flowers or recent evidence that their families had come to visit,this one had moss growing up from the bottom in an elegant pattern.At side of the headstone was a black rose that had a ring around it.I looked at the headstone and tears sprung to my eyes when I saw the name that was engraved in the headstone.

Sunny Howe,beloved father,husband and grandfather.

My grandfather.

I heard shuffling and saw that Lola had found her mum and was talking to the grave,telling her things as if she were alive.

I ran my hand down the side of the headstone and wondered how on earth this headstone got from Singapore to America.

**********flashback************

"What happened?"I asked,I had just got home from school,my mum was somewhere,Sarah was just as confused as I was,and Auntie Yati was on the phone with someone.

"Yes,oh god...well yeah...okay I'll tell them right away."She finished and hung up the phone.

She turned to me,as I was walking up the stairs to my room.

"G-Girls?"She asked shakily.

Our heads snapped towards her,as if motioning for her to continue.

"Something happened...and you have no more Grandpa."

Grandpa?That was what Sarah and I called him.What did she mean?Mind you,I was seven,not having a clue what most things were.

"You will be excused from school for the week."

An inside part of me was relived as I hated school but I was still confused.I nodded slowly,thinking that she would reply but instead she walked to the kitchen.

I looked at Sarah who was equally as confused as me.But I simply walked slowly up to my room,thoughts spinning around rapidly in my head.

-------------a few days later------------

Now I understood what she meant.

All of the family were kneeling on a straw mat,as his body was brought in on a stretcher by two men.

"Grandpa."I bowed my head like I was told to,and all the others acknowledged him.

His body was put in a coffin and we were told to say our last things to him one by one,circling the coffin.

My uncle was crying hysterically as the words tumbled out.He was speaking in a different language and seeing him like that saddened me even more.

My turn to speak came.And boy,was I a mess.

I asked him why he left us,I asked him why he decided to leave us now and I told him one last thing before Sarah had to speak.

"W-We were going t-to build a kite r-remember?I-I'll make a kite when I'm older,I p-promise for y-you."

I broke down and clenched my mums shirt in a ball.

The rest was a blur.At the crematorium,we saw his coffin being wheeled into a large area while we all watched by a huge window.

I cried as loud as I could.

"Grandpa!"I remember sobbing and crying hysterically.

Tears were running down my face and his body disappeared into the large area.

While we were walking back,my aunt rubber my back and petted my hair,telling me that Grandpa wouldn't want to see me crying for him.

So I stopped for a while.

I still cried myself to sleep for about a year after his death and when I moved to England,things didn't get better as I realized I was further from him now.

And now,here I am,in America by my grandfathers headstone,sobbing loudly.

**********back to the present******

I looked at the headstone and put my hands in my pockets,finding a folded object in one of the pockets.I pulled it out and my eyes widened when I unfolded it.

The kite I made when he died.

I smiled and sighed.

"Do you remember this?"I started.

"A lot has changed since you left.I moved two times,I'm in uni now,but I know one thing that definitely hasn't changed.I still miss you so,so much.I also found out that I'm bi and have a beautiful girlfriend.But still love you the most."I smiled thinking about his smile and how we would eat chips by the TV watching my favorite show till I fell asleep.

I set the kite down next to the ring and rose and began to sing 'Helena' by My Chemical Romance.

What's the worse that I could say?

Things are better if I stay

So long and goodnight
So long and goodnight~

Well if you carry on this way

Things are better if I stay

So long and goodnight
So long and goodnight~

I broke down before finishing and shook as I began to rain.

"You can have this as well."I said patting the kite and standing up.

"Love you,Grandpa."I said before walking towards Lola who was standing up and smiling down at the grave.

I took her hand and she smiled at me before squeezing her fingers around mine and wiping her final tears away.