The Dead I Give Life To (Prologue)

Zombie.

Red blood shot eyes stared at me, hunger, blood lust and an inhumane animalistic streak in its dead DNA. A low growl starting deep in the pit of its empty stomach and travelling all the way across the room to me rung in my ears, and we squared each other up.

It must have known it was going to die.

Honestly, it was him or me, and I for one was not going to take this lying down.

The street was fairly empty. I didn’t have enough strength to pick up an overturned car and throw it, so I’d have to opt for something lighter.

A flickering street light caught my eye, and I slowly took a few steps towards it. Anything too sudden, any hasty movements, would make it lunge for me.

I tried to keep my breathing under control and quiet, although I could feel my heart rate accelerating when I stared into the face of my enemy: Or my family.

It would have to be now or never, as it was already dragging itself closer towards me. I kicked the base of the street lamp, and it collapsed under the power of my kick. It fell, and I caught it in my hands.

It charged, growling as it came closer to me.

In one swift fluid motion, I swung the street light like a baseball bat, hitting the beast in the head. An ear splitting crack echoed through the empty street, and bile rose in my throat.

Something bumped into my foot.

Swallowing the scream I was desperate to unleash, I looked down, to see its head at my feet. Its eyes were bulging out of its sockets, and the few teeth it had left were blood stained. I threw the street light to one side and it landed on the pavement with a clank.

“I’M HERE! WHERE IS IT?! I’LL KILL IT!” Kain suddenly yells, running towards me with an axe in his hands. “ARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!” He charged towards me, and then stopped when he realised there was nothing for him to kill.

“Little bit too late Kain” I inform him dryly, bending down to pick the head up “Here, catch!” I tossed the head at him, and he dropped the axe in shock and caught it.

He pulled a disgusted face. “How very cute” Grossed out, he tossed the head into a bush, and walked towards me. “So, you okay? The baby’s okay too?”

“I-“ Before I could finish, Chase comes running in from the opposite direction to Kain, holding a chain saw over his head.

“AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH- Hang on a minute, where’s it gone?”He asks, lowering the chainsaw. I contemplate throwing him the dead body, but that might be going a tad too far.

“Seriously guys? If I would have waited for you I’d be the one with my head in the bush... Momma bear took care of the big scary zombie okay?” I mocked, and they both glared at me.

“Save the sarcasm. Either way that’s the third one that’s got in this month; they really must be starting to run out of food wherever they’re wondering in from” Chase concluded, and I nodded along.

They hadn’t wondered in; they’d been let in.

Word had got out about my pregnancy, and about how my father and sort of myself as well had started this, and rumours were circling that not all the soldiers were happy about it. In fact, none of them were.

But strict orders from Stark had kept them from lashing out, so any mutinies were being kept in the cabins instead of on deck. I was grateful for that.

We both were.

Our baby; Mine and Chase’s. I was about 4 months gone now, but possibly not being a human baby, it could come at any time. I had fully accepted that it was mine. But Chase...