The Dead I Give Life To (Chapter 10)

Dark, it was so dark. There were no lights, simply pitch blackness that was pure blackness. I heard the simple playing of guitar, and the sliding of fingers along the guitar neck. I tried to see something, anything in the darkness, but I couldn’t.

Then a voice came out of the darkness and began echoing around the room.

“You are the only exception, you are, the only exception”

I recognised both the voice and the song, and I smiled. His voice lifted me up inside and I couldn’t help but begin to laugh when he sang the song that I used to love so much and replay all the time before the world went to hell.

Kain’s voice echoed around the dark room.  I listened to the tuneful rising and falling of his masculine voice, totally suited to the song that he was serenading me with. I finally saw myself, and I looked down at myself.

I was sitting on a chair. I wasn’t tied to the chair; I was simply sitting, which confused me more. A single light was in front of me, and I waited for my lover to emerge and shower me in his loving gaze. Slowly, Kain stepped forwards, holding and playing a guitar.

He didn’t have a top on but he had black trousers and a thick black belt. The guitar was a typical wood colour, fairly light, and Kain’s fingers tapped up and down on the neck.

I smiled at him, but he didn’t smile back. He kept playing the guitar and singing, walking around me in the chair as he did so. I felt confused, why was he playing a guitar? Why didn’t he smile back at me? What’s going on?

“Because none of it was ever worth the risk, but you are, the only exception, you are-!” Kain continued singing. Kain finished singing.

He placed the guitar to one side and it disappeared into the shadows. He kept his eyes on me, as if they were staring into my very soul. It unnerved me very much.

Kain went and sat in a chair, opposite me, his piercing eyes still on me.

“Kain, what’s going on?” I asked, confused, and he didn’t answer. Without warning, a hand curled around his shoulder, giving a gentle squeeze, and he looked back over his shoulder to the owner and smiled. My heart stopped, and I waited for the person to step out from the shadows.

No-one came forward but the hand remained. Kain was sitting there in a chair, with his white t-shirt on, a mysterious hand on his shoulder. Yet no-one owned the hand. Or no-one would confess to being the owner.

Either way, it gave me an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of my stomach. I waited, watching, for the owner of the hand to come forwards. Then a leg came forward, a bare leg.

A bare female leg came out of the shadows.

I followed the leg up the body, looking at the shapely figure in front of me. The woman wore a clingy red dress and no shoes. Curvy in all the right places and I followed the body up from the toes to the nose. And I gasped when I saw the eyes in front of me.

“Hello Mother dear” Nadia snarled in a contradicting voice. She wrapped her arms around Kain, and she slid into his lap. He grabbed onto her legs, and laughed, playing with her. Bile rose in my throat. They were... Together? Nadia grabbed Kain’s face and threw her lips to his devouring him with her tongue.

They were...Together, together?

My eyes widened in shock and terror. I saw their lips mashing together in front of me, their voices echoing around the black room, laughing, contradicting snarls blasting my eardrums. I covered my ears and tried to block it out, squeezing my eyes shut.

I turned and ran. Even down endless dark corridors I could still see them in my mind, kissing and groping so vilely. I kept running, and running, not knowing where I was heading. Then I saw her in front of me, a glowing light, and an essence of her.