The Dead I Live With (Chapter 7)

"OW! WHAT WAS THAT FOR?!?!" Kain screamed at me, and I was restrained by soldiers.

"Oh a real man wouldn't of felt that!" I hissed at him, as I was hauled away by the soldiers, Chase following us. Isu was yapping around my ankles, trying to bite the soldiers.

Once we were a safe distance away, they released me, and I glared at them, especially at Chase. I couldn't see Screamy Cammy anymore, but I suspected Chase was still thinking about her.

"Ava! We talked about this! You don't have to beat up everyone! Especially not Kain!" Chase scolded me, and I raised an eyebrow at him.

He looked at me.

"What?" He asked, bringing up his hands

"You know what, Captain" I mocked, and walked back to my room, gesturing for Isu to follow. She skipped after me, tumbling over. I scooped her up, and hugged her to my chest.

She weighed a ton, far more than Coco ever weighed. But I needed a hug.

"Ava! Wait up!" Chase called after me, and I picked up the pace. He continued after me, speeding up to my pace.

I dashed into my room. I placed Isu on my bed, and turned round, wanting to close the door before Chase got in. I spun round, only to find Chase in the doorway.

He stepped in, and closed the door behind him.

"What bit your biscuits?" He asked

"That's a really weird expression" I told him, flopping down on the chair, bringing my knees up, hugging them around me.

"You know what I mean" Chase replied, walking forward and crouching down in front of me.

He gently pulled my knees down, and my arms fell too. Chase took my hands in his, and looked deep into my eyes.

"Tell me"

"It was her. You. I don't know. Just the way she hugged you, gave me a really weird feeling. I don't know" I lied.

I couldn't tell Chase I was jealous. I was praying that he simply thought that I suspected she might be infected or something.

Either way he changed the subject.

"You want to go do those blood tests now? Then we can check out Screamy Cammy, see if she's dangerous. There's no doubt that she's in quarantine"

I nodded, smiling evilily at the thought that Cammy would be in a lone jail cell. Also that Chase had given her the same nickname as I had.

I leapt out of the chair, throwing my arms around Chase.

"Thanks, Chase"

"No problem, Sis"

I pulled away, shocked.

"Sis?" I repeated

"Yeah, you're like my little sister, Ava"

Little sister?

First the zombie world, then my family, my dog, and now this?

Whoever's in charge up there had really got it in for me.

"Yeah" I muttered.

Little Sister? Wow.

I was too stunned to say anything while Chase was preparing the needle. I thought he was boyfriend material (ZOMBIE!! FOCUS!! That really wasn't working), but all this time, I was just filling in the job of pathetic little sister who's afraid of the dark.