The Dead I Live With (Chapter 6)

"Ava! I'm so sorry! I went in the cage to clean the water and she must of gotten free! Ava are you okay?" A random solider asked me, as the exploding fluff ball licked my face.

I gently pushed the dog away from me, and it flopped down on my legs, panting with a dopey look on her adorable face.

I looked up at the solider, stroking the dog on her soft head.

"What breed is you anyway?" I asked the dog and the solider, making me think "Is you? Isu? Are you Isu???" I re-questioned the dog, and it gave me a knowing look. Cool, least I'd named her.

"Like I know!" The solider scoffed, and he threw a large book to me "Have a look in there, see what you can find" He walked past me to the door, and I called to him

"Hey! If you see Chase, tell him I'm looking for him!"

The solider muttered yes.

I continued stroking the extremely large puppy, flipping through the worn pages of the book.

"Nope, nope, nope, aww cute! Nope, what's that? Large rat, nope, nope, Great Pyranees? That looks like you, Isu" I turned to the designated page, and began to read.

Good watchdog, hard to train though. Will fight to the death to protect the owner. That would be good in this current situation that the worlds found itself in.

"Hmm, Isu, hard to train" Isu shook her head, giving me a look. "Oh so that's how it's gonna be?" I pushed Isu of my legs, and began to tickle her belly, she began to wag her tail and wriggle.

I cooed at her, and she growled at me. Awesome, my kind of dog.

"I see your getting along well"

I turned round to find Chase stood in the doorway.

"So sleeping beauty's finally arisen?" I mocked, and Chase pulled a face. I grinned.

"Yeah, princess, I have"

"Princess? It's saviour to you Captain!" I corrected him and he shook his head.

"Whatever princess. You wanna come and play lookout with me?" Chase offered, and I nodded, standing up. Isu began to jump up at my legs, but I ordered her back down, and she obliged. I praised her, taking a rope of the wall.

I tied it round her neck, then wrapped it around my hand.

"Let's go!" I said to Chase.

The hill was quieter and more relaxing than what I remembered it.

Isu was asleep on my lap, and I was stroking her stomach, watching Chase out of the corner of my eye. He had his eyes closed, and he was catching the light perfectly.

Had I really just thought that mushy thought?

I ignored it, but I couldn't ignore Chase.

"So" Chase began, making me look away quickly, blushing hotly "Tell me. How do you and Kain know each other?"

I sighed.

"He used to go to my school. He was the typical cocky rebel, the cool popular boy that all girls wanted to date"

"Including you?"

I hung my head in shame, and nodded.

"So what happened? Do you still like him?"

"Does it look like it? I punched him in the nose on my first day here! Anyway, I was the scientists daughter, sentanced geeky before trial. I was nothing like a nerd, I despised school, I hated lessons. There was always something better that I could be doing, you know?"