The Dead I Live With (Chapter 5)

As I expected, Chase and I were called into Stark's office.

But what I wasn't expecting was the fact that he never mentioned out kiss.

I was without a doubt sure that Kain had told him, but he didn't mention it, and for that I was grateful. It was a moment of weakness on my part, and I wanted to try and move on from it.

I enjoyed it, but now was not the time for things like that.

Instead, Stark wanted to talk about our mission into town.

"Were there many about?" Stark asked, referring to the zombies.

"No. It was only when we left we got ambushed. Walking there was fine, it was the return journey we had a problem with" I explained, and Stark nodded, clearly thinking.

"Just as I thought, their getting ready to attack" Stark told us, then continued mumbling to himself.

"Alrighty then, is there anything else, cause I'm kinda tired after today. I need sleep" I yawned to add effect

"No. That's all. Is that necklace new?" Stark inquired, pointing to my Coco charm. My hand flew to it immediately.

"Yeah. I got it in town today. I had a dog, Coco, but the......zombies got her" My throat went dry and I welled up just thinking about her.

"Right. You any good with dogs?"

"I suppose so yeah. Why?"

"We found a puppy the other day. Small now, but we reckon it'll get real big. We need someone to train it. You fancy giving it a go?" Stark offered.

 I thought about this carefully, weighing my options.

I needed a reason to stay here. The savior charm was wearing off, and the soldiers weren't too thrilled about me being here anyway. They'd be looking for any excuse to get rid of me, but if I was contributing to the army, they'd have to keep me around.

"Okay. I'll do it. Male or female?" I confirmed

"Female. Haven't named her yet, you can do that. Chase, I want you to take her to the kennels in the morning, 8:00 sharp, got it? Goodnight then Ava"

"Goodnight general Stark" Chase and I chorused, then we walked out together.

"So, what happened to your dog?" Chase asked, trying to make conversation.

"The zombies killed her" I replied simply, not wanting to talk about it anymore. Chase got the hint, and changed the subject.

"Okay, the blood tests all ready to do, I figure we do them tomorrow, and then do the physical tests afterwards while we're waiting for the results. Sound okay?"

"Yeah. Fine"

We were nearly at my room, and I was dreading being alone. Would Chase stay with me again? It seemed unlikely after our awkward embrace before, but it was worth a try.

We arrived and I walked in, hoping Chase would follow. He did, and I sighed to myself relieved. I didn't want to be alone in the dark again.

Nervously and kinda stupidly, we stood there looking at each other like idiots.

"Do you need me to stay?" Chase asked, and I bit my lip, nodding at him. "Fine, but I'm on the bed, you sleep in the chair."

"Okay. Thanks Chase"

"It's fine. We're even then" Chase told me, flopping down on my bed. I shuffled over to the chair, and curled up in it, wrapping a blanket around me.