The Dead I Live With (Chapter 2)

"The Avanibe? How, why, what?" I stuttered, staring at Chase with deep confusion in my eyes.

"We have been working on our own cure. But, judging from the result we just got, it didn't work" Chase explained, looking at all the damage done to the medical room. He picked up some bandages and some antiseptic. Hitting Kain had more side efffects that I originally thought.

Chase turned a seat over, and he sat me down in it.

He applied the antiseptic, and I squirmed, as it stung.

"Keep still!" Chase ordered

"No! It hurts!" I moaned, wriggling about. Eventually, he bandaged it up, and I hugged my hand to my chest, releasing small whimpering. Chase began moving about, picking up other medical equipment. He heard me moaning, and he groaned.

"It didn't hurt that much. If your gonna live through this, you need to toughen up" Chase commented, and I stuck my tongue out at his back.

"Well you took ages to do it, and it really stings!" I whined, crossing my arms, and sinking deeper into the orange plastic chair I only just realised I was sat in.

"You shouldn't have hit Kain then! No matter how much he was asking for it!" Chase argued back, moving furniture more roughly now

"He shouldn't of kissed me then! And stop treating me like a little kid!"

"Stop acting like one then!"

"Leave me alone!" I shrieked, suddenly too close to everything. The room was suddenly too small, Chase too close, everything too near. I leapt out of the chair and fled the room.

I ran a fair way until I found a small closet. Carefully, fingers in my pocket and on Chase's gun (just in case, because you never know) I opened the door a tiny fraction, and when the coast was clear I dived inside. I pawed the room, until I found a torch.

It was a heavy weight, and would probably double as a weapon if need be. I switched it on and off a few times to check it worked, then closed the door. I sat on the wood floor, hands around my knees. Panicking slightly, I breathed more deeply, but tried to stay quiet.

With a jump, I awoke suddenly to voices, just outside the door. Silently, I shuffled across the floor, and pressed my ear to the door. The three musketeers, great....

"What do you mean she fled? Have you found her yet Chase?" Stark asked, voice sounding dark and threatening.

"It's a big place General, but I've looked everywhere. I think she's gone again" Chase explained. I could imagine him looking sheepish. I moved my ear to the door crack for better hearing.

"My Ava's gone again. You idiot Chase!" Kain put in, and I pulled an appalled face behind the door. Was Kain mental? I wasn't his! I punched him twice, and even that didn't seem enough to knock sense into him. I wanted to hit him again with my aching fist.

Without warning, I'm guessing that Chase threw Kain against the door, as something heavy thudded against it, making me fall back. I hit some cleaning equipment behind me, and everything thudded and clanked, making my presence known.

On both sides of the door there was silence.

"Ava?" Kain squeaked, as he sounded like Chase was strangling him. I smiled at that thought.

Nervously, I stood to my feet, and opened the door slowly. I moved Kain and Chase out the way when I opened the door, and came out. They stared at me like I was some kind of weirdo, which in a way I suppose I was. But with everything that happened that day, I had a right to act like one. But they couldn't know what went on.

"Hello" I said with a half smile.

Chaos.

Kain ran towards me to embrace me in a hug, but I cleverly side stepped him. Stark began yelling at Chase, but I interrupted them.

"It wasn't Chase, general, it was me. I ran off. I just needed to work off some steam. Sorry for all the trouble." Stark looked like he wanted several strong drinks. I'm sure I heard him mutter something like 'teenagers and guns, never a good mixture' but I probably heard wrong.

Not.

Still, Chase threw me a thankful look, and I smiled at him.

Kain engulfed me from behind, and I tried to get him of me, but that boy's got a grip like a vice. I stood there scowling, while Kain's stroking me and telling me that everything will be just fine. I can see that Chase is dying to laugh, whereas I'm just dying.

"I think I know a way to relieve your stress, Ava" Stark says finally, and with a knowing stare.

20 minutes later, I'm stood in a large hall surrounded by all sorts of soldiers. There all eyeing me up, but especially Kain. Stark walks towards me, and has a pleased look on his face.

"Ava. For a member the best way of stress relief is conflict, so choose an oponent, and do what you must to win" Stark informed me, and I smiled to myself.

I knew he was there.

I could feel his gaze on me.

"Kain?" I asked sweetly "Would you do me a favour?"

"Ava! I thought you liked me!" Kain spluttered, stumbling backwards after an incredible blow to the stomach.

"I've hated you ever since that day!" I shouted at him, hitting him around the face. "C'mon, Stark, he's useless, he doesn't fight back!" I complained. "Give me a challenge!"

Stark grinned at my eagerness, then swapped Kain for......Chase. This could be good.

"Hello solider boy!" I greeted cheerily, then prepared myself. Before I could, Chase hit me in the face. I recoiled, then swung back harder. He fell to the ground, and I pounced on top of him, pinning him down. I sat on his chest, then hit him in the face. He grinned, before flipping me backwards, trying to make me land funny.

But I landed like a cat.

He lunged me, but I moved, making him stumble. I laughed then went to beat him up some more. He brought his hands up in surrender, and I allowed it. I was tired now anyway.

"Thanks guys. That was surprisingly fun. Can I sleep now though?" I asked, and Stark ordered Chase to show me to my room. Chase agreed, and I began to follow him. It was dark outside now, and I could hear low zombie rumblings somewhere out in the wilderness. I began to shake just hearing them.

I reached my room, and was all ready for bed in a matter of minutes. Chase had stood patiently outside waiting for me, and now I was ready, he walked me into my room.

I was still shaking, fears of being in the dark, fears of being alone consuimg all of my other thoughts. Chase noticed this and asked me if I was okay. I lied and said I was fine.

Chase turned to leave, but my heart flipped and my stomach churned. I grabbed hold of his shirt, pulling him back into my room.

"Please don't leave me. Don't leave me alone" I begged, gripping his shirt so tightly and so desperately that my knuckles were white.

"I have to go Stark won't be happy if I stay in your room" He persuaded, but it was useless. I released his shirt and dropped to the ground, clinging to his leg instead, as my knees were too weak to stand.

"Please, please, don't go. I can't be alone again, please don't." I pleaded, holding back sobs. Sighing in defeat, he scooped me up and carried to my bed. He dropped me into it, then went and sat down on a nearby chair, grumbling about it.

I curled into the covers, whispering thank you to Chase. I found it hard to close my eyes, but eventually I managed it.

Because I knew that I wasn't alone.

*******************************************************************************************************

Hiya to NanaimoGirl!!! Thanxxx for your message!! 

Thanxxx for reading

Remember to vote comment and fan!!

Thanxxx again