The Dead I Live With (Chapter 16)

I banged my head on the floor, trying to create a new pain to distract me from the pain surging through me now. I gritted my teeth, and clenched my fists. I was stuck here on this floor, nearly screaming out in agony, and there was nothing I could do about it.

It was so stupid! I looked at the growling zombie beside me, and I was so annoyed. That’s when I saw the tube, and I realised what I could do, even if I didn’t make it myself.

 In the corner, about an arm’s length away, was a plastic tube, with a jagged end, enough to cut healthy skin.

Easier still for dead skin.

Biting my lip to brace myself for the pain, I stretched enough so I could reach it, and pulled it closer to me, whining as I recoiled. I found the sharp end, and in one swift move, I had sliced open the wrist of the zombie, and shoved the end of the tube into the slit.

I then took a deep breath, and pushed the other end into my gooey stomach. I screamed out, but I knew no-one would find me.

I adjusted it slightly, and I could see my blood bubbling and splashing the end of the tube. I moved slightly so the blood would be flowing downwards from my stomach to the little zombie girls arm.

Like I was in labour, I made my breathing rhythmic, and I prepared myself to ‘push’. I clenched my stomach, and the blood was thrust into the tube.

 Tears spurted out, but I kept clenching. For a minute, I released, but soon had to push again. I kept going, until the excess blood that used to be staining my t-shirt, was no longer there.

I stopped, and tried to open my closed eyes, but I couldn’t, for fear of what the zombie girl looked like. 3, 2, 1 I opened my eyes, and gasped when I saw an almost human girl. I was so close, to turning her back, I couldn’t stop now. With a forced push, I clenched again, using everything I had left to try and get her to turn back to human.

The blood flowed, and I felt like it was Christmas when I yanked that tube out of me, and blew down it, spraying the blood coating the walls of the tube into her system. I tried to sit up, in order to sit the blood in my mouth onto her, the floor, anywhere, just to get it out of my mouth.

When I was younger, all the boys in my class used to suck the blood out of their wounds like vampires when they started bleeding. I will never know how they did it, because for the 7 seconds that blood was in my mouth, and around my mouth, it was the worst time I’d ever experienced.

I spat it out, and wiped around my mouth with the back of my hand, and I slammed my head on the floor again. Okay Ava, you are not Cinderella, you are not Snow White, you are not Belle, and you are most definitely not Daphne from Scooby Doo, you are not a damsel in distress.

So stop acting like one, you pathetic girl.

Sit up. Now, Ava, sit up, you can do this. The bloods gone now, so there’s nothing to be afraid of. I put my hands either side of my stomach, and pushed. I gritted my teeth, and admitted defeat as I couldn’t get up. And that’s when I heard it.

A low growl that I’d heard so many times growing up. In the backyard, asking to be let in, a playful sound, a threatened sound, a sad sound, and an over excited yap. My blood (what was not in the 6 year old girl) ran cold, and I swallowed.

I listened hard, and from the store cupboard that the girl emerged from I heard thumps, and the dragging of a leg. Knowing it was now, or get eaten by a zombie, I forced myself to sit, up, and I managed it this time. Feeling victorious, I propped my knees up, and willed myself to my feet.

 Wobbling, I managed it, but could only stagger a few steps before feeling weak. But now was no time to be weak, I had to get out of this hall. And I had to take Half-Human with me. Leaning against a wall for support, I bent down, and scooped up the little girl.

I thanked god she was light, and I carried her in fireman’s lift, watching her feet near my stomach. It had started bleeding again, and I had already lost so much blood. I set her down, and ripped a layer off of her ruffled pink skirt, and tied it around my waist tightly, applying pressure to my wounds.

I then picked up H-H, and carried her out of the corridor. I could see the canteen entrance in the distance....I think. I was feeling lightheaded, my vision was blurring, and I couldn’t see properly. That’s when I saw him, and my heart near stopped.

“AVA!” He shouted, rushing to my side. He took the little girl from me, and set her down gently on the floor. My descent downwards wasn’t nearly as nice, as I collapsed, landing on my stomach. I groaned, rolling over, and my eyes fluttering open and closed.

He peered down at me, and I smiled at him. He kissed my forehead, and I chuckled. I just wanted to sleep.

“Let me sleep!” I told him stroppily, but it was too blurry to see his reaction.

“Ava, what happened, you....she....what?!” He asked, and I tapped his shoulder, needing to tell him what I’d just discovered.

“Ch....Chas......Chase.....My doggie! She’s back!” I told him, trying to smile, but the pain made me look constipated.

“Ava? What, Isu’s in your room! What are you talking about?”

“Not Isu silly!” I laughed, punching his arm, and trying to get him to come closer.

“Ava, you’re not making any sense, your seriously injured, I....” I stopped listening to him. Really, whys it always his problems that matter, and never mine- then again, I do have a lot of problems....

“NO! Chase you’re not listening”

“Well you’re not making any sense!”

“MY DOGGY COCO IS BACK!! She was the thing chewing on my leg when I was in the sea.....Oh Chase the sea!!! And now she’s back! And she’s in the camp!”

“There’s a zombie loose in the camp! STARK, ZOMBIE BREAK IN, SHOOT ON SIGHT!”

“NOOOOOO, DON’T SHOOT!” I screamed, then blacked out, too weak to carry on.

********************************************************************************************************

OOOOOOOH! If any of you guys read the comments, you knew that NanaimoGirl and I had been talking briefly about Coco, so I decided to bring her back.....What do ya think?

Oooh, and if you havent already, please check out my new story Hello Mr V!! Thanxxx so much if you have, it means a lot.

This chapter is dedicated to NanaimoGirl, and I want to thank u all for getting me to over 3500 reads!!! And, if you guys could do me a favour, and VOTE like crazy so I've got over 200 votes, I'd be happy............LIKE MAD!!!!!!!

Sorry it's short!

SO THANXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX