The Dead I Live With (Chase's Chapter 1)

Hiya Readers. To mix things up (and keep you in suspense) I'm gonna do this chapter from Chase's POV. Ha. It will be shorter though.

Enjoy.

Normal Authors Note at end as usual. For the nice people who read my strange babblings about 'Kain' and saving wasps. ;P

*********************************************************************************************************

The coolness of the wall chilled my palms, but it still made me want to hit the wall. I pressed my fore head to the wall, and swore at my own stupidity.

I'd just let Ava go out on her own. Even if she was infected, no-one deserves to die on their own. I know that better than anyone.

The fury built up inside me, and I hit the wall. Pain immediately throbbed through my hand, and I shook my hand. Ava, you idiot!

She wasn't the idiot though. I was.

She was safe here, with me. But know she could be anywhere, doing anything, with anyone.

For all I knew she could be dead.

No!

I told myself not to think like that, it's Ava I'm on about. She can handle anything. I knew she could.

But what if she couldn’t? What if she never came back?

What if the next time they go to the town, they find her mangled body? Or worse, they find her as a zombie, moaning and hungry for her friends flesh.

With my other fist, I hit the wall, and then shouted out in pain. I fell to my knees, and began hitting the ground instead. Ava, why?

Why did you go away?

Eventually, I stopped, and took a deep breath.

This girl could leap up 8 foot trees, and beat up Kain like it was nothing at all. A couple hundred zombies weren’t gonna hurt her.

Hopefully.

I picked myself up off the ground, and with one last look over my shoulder, I went back inside.

The long hallways were dark, hidden in shadows. I marched through them, back to Cammy’s room.

But on my way past, I couldn’t help but glance in Ava’s room. It was empty, obviously, and her clothes were sprawled everywhere. I laughed at that, but something caught my eye.

In one of Ava’s drawers, a piece of paper was sticking out, just the corner, but enough to make me want to look. Quietly, I snuck in, and made my way to the drawer.

I grabbed the handle, but the little voice in the back of my head stopped me. It didn’t say ’Your violating her privacy’ it said ‘What if you find out something you don’t want to know’.

I ignore the voice, and tried to slide the drawer out. It was a stiff, so I had to jiggle it. It begun making a lot of noise, so in the end I just yanked it out.

The drawer was empty, except for that single piece of paper, and a pencil.

With curious fingers, I pulled the note out, and began to read.

It reminded me of a diary, but then it started to turn into a story. It was about this girl, and she was on a cliff. She’d just thrown something into the sea (didn’t say what) and she was going to jump herself. It described something being behind her, watching her, but once again it didn’t say what.

Then she jumped.

It described her falling. How the wind rushed through her hair, and how she felt like she was flying. Then, this girl landed in the water below. It told me about how she bobbed above the water, then how she got dragged back down. It described something grabbing her ankle. Maybe it was the thing she threw in?