The Dead I Live With (Chapter 12)

Wow, you guys voted and commented!! Thanxxxx so much!! Okay, heres the next chapter!!

***********************

Chase let go of me, and I smiled at him, disbelieving that I was actually here again. Stark marched out, and with one quick finger point, I was ordered to his office. I scooped up Isu (she was getting heavier!) and made my way indoors.

"Ava, why did you do it?" Stark questioned, and I dithered. Should I tell the truth, or lie until my head exploded? Starks gaze was wearing me down though, and I decided it was truth time.

"That night, the zombie attack, I got scratched." I confessed, the words sticking in my throat, making it hard for me to speak. "I.... I left the camp so no one else would get infected, or hurt when I turned"

"But your fine!" Stark exclaimed, and I nodded, showing him the scratch on my hand. It was almost healed. "How?"

"I can explain that one sir" Chase stated, entering Starks office. I smiled up at him from my chair, and he grinned back down at me.

"Chase, nice of you to join us. Take a seat, then take the stage and tell us all about your 'discovery'" Stark told him, voice coated in sarcasm. I watched as Chase took the seat next to me, and I looked at him in curiosity.

"Well sir, I um, Ava is um, there's no easy way to say it" Chase stuttered, and the panic within me grew.

"Out with it Captain!" Stark commanded, obviously growing tired of waiting.

"Ava's dead sir" He blurted, and I gasped. I'm dead? How am I dead?

"How am I dead?" I finally said out loud, and Chase wafted his hands about, like a magician trying to conjure up an explanation out of thin air.

"It's complicated" He began, but I interrupted.

"Well it can't be that bad as I'm now DEAD!" I yelled at him, and he looked uncomfortable. I leapt out of my chair, and stomped around the room, trying to get my head around this. I took a quick glance at Stark, and he looked as confused as I did.

He saw me looking.

"Ava, maybe you should hear Chase out" He suggested calmly. Fuming, I flopped back down in my chair, and looked at Chase, waiting for an explanation.

"What I'm trying to say is, the blood tests showed that Ava isn't alive, which is impossible, as she's still here. So I then ran blood tests on Ava's blood, and a zombies blood sample, and they were a positive match"

"So wait, not only am I now dead, I'm a zombie too?" I snapped, raising an eyebrow at him. I could see the corners of Chases mouth twitching; he was desperate to laugh. Seeing him trying to keep a straight face made me forgive him, and want to laugh too. Neither of us were good in social situations like this.

"But that's not the case. Physically, Ava has the well over the maximum strength of anyone, unlike a zombie. See, a zombie is a someone who dead, and comes back to life"

"Yes Chase, I'm sure we are all aware what a zombie is" Stark muttered, and I giggled under my breath. Chase caught me laughing, and I winked at him.

"What I'm trying to say is, Ava's doing the opposite. Instead of her body decaying and getting weaker, its getting stronger"

After Chase finished, the room was silent, and Stark and I sat there in dumbfounded silence. Stark finally spoke up.

"Okay. So......" Stark trailed off, not knowing what to say to the fact that the girl sat opposite him could break his rib-cage with her little finger.