The Dead World I Live In (Chapter 9)

Groaning, they came towards me, dragging their bodies along the dusty ground. I ignored them and kept walking. They followed me.

The zombies followed the saviour.

Shuffling, more and more zombies joined the growing mob behind me. Were they following me? Or the stench of Coco's body? I couldn't tell nor did I want to know. I just kept walking. I was unarmed and the zombies knew it. But they didn't attack. Simply followed.

Which I was fine with.

I don't know how far we walked but we kept walking. Endless walking.

Then I stopped.

I was surrounded. An army of zombies were in front and behind of me.

They stared at me, their black eyes burning my very soul. I stared back, defeating them by not even trying to. The dead behind me growled at the dead in front, a message telling them to let me through.

The sea of zombies parted, revealing a walkway through the middle.

I walked through the gap. Zombies joined the mob behind me. There was over a thousand zombies. I couldn't fight them. I didn't want to.

Coco's blood had been dripping all the journey. It pooled on the floor as I stood before the zombies. My stomach lurched. I couldn't bear the sight of my dog's blood. I couldn't stand the thought that she was dead.

Walking, Walking, Walking. I kept walking. I knew where I was going.

To see the sea.

A quiet hum became obvious from the zombies. The same note, always played. Whether it was dilibrate or not, I began to think. With every step I took, I thought of someone that I'd lost.

Left.

Dad.

Right.

Tim.

Left.

Coco.

Right.

Mom.

Left.

Jeff.

Right.

Me?

Had I lost all sense? All knowing of who I was? Was I really just like them, with only one thing in mind, survival? 

That thought hurt me. I'd rather die than become like them. A half life crippled mess of an ex-human. It was unbearable. But I refused to cry.

Then I saw it.

Blue.

 Blue was before me.

An endless stretch of sapphire blue sea was in front of me.

I had reached the cliff I had visited so many times as a child. I peered over it, watching as the sun set over the waves. Deeply, I inhaled the scent of the sea. Behind me, the zombies stopped.

I turned to face them. I looked at rows and rows and rows of mangled bodies and black eyes, all watching me. Then I turned back to the sea.

"I want to escape the dead world I live in"

I stroked Coco's fur with my fingers looking at her lovingly.

"Don't you?"

********************************************************************************************

OOOOOOOHH!!!!

PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT!

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK.

ALSO, SORRY ABOUT THE WHOLE COCO THING. I LOVED HER AS MUCH AS YOU DID.

R.I.P COCO BARNS

THE BEST DOG IN A ZOMBIE INFESTED WORLD EVER.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX