The Dead I Give Life To (Chapter 12)

“Hey, April, you came!”

Smugly grinning, I walked up to the guy calling me April, and high five him. He grabs my hand and pulls me into towards him, and we fall to the ground.

He wraps his arms around me, and I wriggle, trying to escape. I can’t, and to be honest I really didn’t want to. I snuggle into his arms, and he laughs into my hair. “I missed you today April, didn’t see you”

“You wouldn’t because, unlike you, I was in class”

“That’s cause you’re a goody two shoes April, you gotta live more” He says, and I shake my head, lacing my fingers with his. He strokes my fingers with his thumb, and I sigh blissfully.

“I’m bad, that’s why you call me April”

“That’s true, but I’m still worse than you. I stick to my life of crime, but April, you’ve caved. You’ve given into the man and gone back to school” He mocked, and I rolled my eyes.

“No, it’s either that or I get expelled, and you’ll never see me again” I told him, and he scoffed

“So dramatic April” He told me, and I straddled him. I wrapped my arms around his neck, and pulled him closer to me.

The hill where we’d meet was secluded, sealed off from the rest of the world. We’d cut class just to sit for hours and watch the crimson sun disappear into the hills. The soft green grass beneath us and the blue sky above us, we thought life was perfect.

“Yeah, but you love me for it” I joked, pulling away from the hug to look at his face. Beautiful eyes, the amazing soul-searching eyes he looked at me with.

“I do” He wasn’t joking, there was only seriousness in his voice “I love you”

I gasped, and brought his lips to mine. The sweetness I felt in that kiss made up for everything wrong in my life. The way my parents hated my attitude towards school, the way my father was never home, the way all the teachers had given up on me and labelled me a lost cause.

All of that was made up for in that one kiss; the perfect 1st kiss.

“I love you too” I told him as I pulled away. He entangled his hands in my hair and cupped my face, and kissed me again.

“Yeah, but I love you more April” He whispered, and I giggled at his nickname for me. April.

He called me April because every day during the month of April we both had 2 hour after school detentions, for different reasons though. I got mine for getting revenge on a girl who had been bullying me at school, revenge in the form of a baseball bat.

He had gotten his for spray painting the answers to the science test his teacher told him he couldn’t do on the wall of the science block, and he was being forced to scrub it off himself as a form of punishment, as well as the detention. He was my beautiful nightmare, and I loved him.

“Ava, I didn’t kiss her! You know I didn’t!”

“But you did Kain, you freaking did! I saw you, and now you’re just lying to my face by saying you didn’t! I saw it! I SAW IT! I SAW YOU WITH HER! MY BEST FRIEND KAIN, YOU KISSED MY BEST FRIEND!” I sobbed, screaming at him.

I hurried down the path of the house I’d been partying at, hurrying away from Kain. My shoes were in my hands, and the brick floor was cold on my stocking feet. My cheeks were wet with tears, and undoubtedly my hair was a mess. I stopped for a moment, trying to collect myself. I shivered in my dress in the cold outside and hoped Kain had left me alone. He hadn’t, and Kain came up behind me and tried to hold on to me, but I struggled free.