The Dead I Live With (Chapter 21)

PLEASE READ AUTHORS NOTE AT THE END, VERY, EXTREMELY, URGENTLY IMPORTANT! THANXXX!

*****************************************************************************

Realising I was naked; I woke up to find an also naked Chase next to me. Hiding myself under the covers, I picked up my crumpled dress, and used it to cover myself as I darted from the bed to my wardrobe.

I took some deep breaths in the cupboard, and tried to find some underwear. Thankfully, I found some, and I put them on, along with a purple superwoman t-shirt and some black jeans. Faithful as always, I put my black boots on, and I emerged from my hiding place.

Chase was also up, but he only had his boxers on (good, at least one of us found their underwear from last night). He kissed me, and I loved the taste of his lips. Every little touch made my mind flash back to last night, and I turned scarlet just by thinking about it.

“I have that effect on women” He boasted, and I laughed, lifting up my top. He quivered, and I saw his pants twitch.

“Yeah, I have that effect on men” I boasted, and he laughed, and I put down my top. He wrapped his hands around my waist. I placed my hands on his toned chest, and rubbed slightly. “So, umm, Chase, I have to ask this, where did you get the....Protection?”

“We didn’t use protection,” He said, nuzzling my neck, and I pulled away, shocked by what he had just said.

“What do you mean we didn’t? Chase what if I get pregnant? How am I meant to defend myself? Find a cure? This wars hard enough without baby drama as well. You d-“

“Ava” He cut me off, and I glared at him. “You can’t get pregnant”

“Well gee-whizz” I said sarcastically “My science teachers must have got it wrong, when a man and a woman have sex there’s no possible way the woman could get pregnant!”

“No, Ava. You personally can’t get pregnant. You’re infertile”

I stepped away from him, my heart breaking. I’d always wanted children, and now I was being told I couldn’t have any. “You knew about this? And you didn’t tell me?”

“Ava, your blood is dead. You should be dead, but you’re not. So the possibility of having children is non-existent. I’m sorry”

“What else do I not know?” I demanded through gritted teeth, my fists clenched “What else have you not told me?”

Chase didn’t respond. His eyes gave him away though.

“Show me” I told him, and he nodded, and began putting on clothes. I didn’t want to watch him; I went and stood outside the door instead.

A single tear escaped my eyes, and I let it trickle down my face. Was I even ever human? Have I always been a monster? My future children were gone, stolen from me in the blink of an inhuman eye.  

The rest of my tears would have to wait to be shed though, as Chase emerged, fully dressed and guilty faced, from my room, and I knew it was time to know the truth. He led the way, and I followed, silently sobbing inside, all along the dark corridor.

Part of the research lab was cut off, as that was where the little girl was being stored. Chase was taking me to her after he’d fully ‘filled me in’. He handed me the folder that I’d taken from my own father’s secret lab.

I scanned over it, but found nothing that I understood. It was all technical terms, algebra, and science bits for geeks. Chase looked at me like I was supposed to understand it, and I simply raised an eyebrow at him, waiting for an explanation.