The Dead I Live With (Chapter 11)

Another new chappy!!!! Enjoy! Ooh, need to say that this is back to Ava, where we last left off. Sorry if it's confusing!!

**********************

Having been unconscious when brought to their safe camp, I didn't know my way out. Thankfully though, Mama, Paulie and Fergus led the way, and I quietly followed behind, gun at the ready.

It turns out the exit was at the end of a small dark tunnel, that lead up to a door. Out the door was into daylight, down a little side street. There was a gate at the end, which surprise surprise Fergus had the key to.

I waited patiently until those at the back of the huddle had emerged through the door, then turned towards Fergus, looking directly at the key in his pale skinny hand.

"Okay, everyones through, Fergus open the gate please" I asked, and Fergus considered it, before giving me a challenging grin.

"Shouldn't you check for zombies first?" He raised his eyebrows at me, and I smiled as if I wasn't bothered by it. I was, but letting Fergus know this would be like a flame to dynamite.

"Of course, how silly of me" I replied, then headed towards the gate. I took a deep breath, finger on the trigger, and peered around the corner.

Thankfully, there were only 3 lurking around outside the gate. I pulled the trigger, and took them out quietly an discreetly. I didn't know what I was going to do. Transporting 16 people (including myself) back to an army camp out of a zombie infested town was difficult, not to mention the fact that I still had to pick up some barbecue flavour crisps for Kain.

Flashbacks of Kain and everyone back at camp made my heart thump. The thoughts that I'd never see Isu again, or never kiss Chase again, or never tease Kain again caused my mouth to go dry, yet my eyes to become damp with tears.

"All clear Ava?" Fergus' smug voice rang clear through the street, and I turned around to nod at him. I was lying of course, but then I saw it.

With the keys in the ignition, a red truck lay abandoned in the middle of the street. If I could reach it, getting the survivors home would be so much easier. I scurried back over to the group, and explained my palm to them.

"On paper that's an excellent idea honey," Mama began "But the fact is, the only thang we can drive is a tractor, not no fancy red truck"

"It's cool" I explained "I can drive"

What? I was a rebel in high school, a fast learner, so I had learnt to drive before I was legally allowed to. Thank god, as it was coming in handy now.

I instructed them to wait there, then hurried back over to the gate. The plan was I'd jump the gate, and Fergus would be ready to unlock the gate and the others would get in the back of the truck, and we'd drive off home free.

Like a monkey, I shinned up the gate, and landed swiftly on the other side. Checking my surroundings (all clear) I sprinted towards the truck, and leapt in. I didn't bother strapping myself in, as it might delay my get away if need be.

I turned the key, and the engine whirred into life, purring like a kitty. U shouted over to Fergus, risking the chance that we'd be exposed to more zombies. He didn't move.

Mama, Paulie and all the others were yelling at him to open it, but he simply stood there, staring at me with a sadistic grin on his face. Without warning, a zombie lunged at me from the back of the truck, where it had been either hiding or dormant. I fired quickly, and it fell to the floor.

I leapt put of my seat to shove it out of the truck. Fergus still hadn't opened the gate, and that had peed me off. I ran back towards the gate, and with a heavy boot, I bust the lock of the gate, and it swung wide open. The group all hurried through, except Fergus, who was staring at me in shock. Sighing in annoyance, I began pushing him towards the gate, and then towards the truck. He didn't say a word, and I managed to hoist him up to join the others.