Chapter 24

Karti ,

When we reached the 4th floor , I noticed Dale , Tate , Gee's mom and family waiting impatiently for the news only the doctors knew.

I hope my brother cool. Not too long ago it was me back there on that operating table while my family stood out her dreading bad news.

I walked over to Mama Gina , Gee's mom and instantly took her in my arms. She just melted and cried in my chest. Before Gee and I got into this , his father Gerald was my fathers best friend. He was murdered 16 years ago. I know she felt like history was going to repeat it's self. Other then her 2 daughters , Gee was all she had left.

We didn't even speak no words. She cried into my chest until she couldn't cry no more. I kissed her on her forhead while she sat down. I know she then called my mom.

I walked over to Dale , noticing that Trina , Gee's wife was off in the corner with Zih.

"Yo, what the fuck happened?" I asked Dale in a hush tone , while leading him down the hallway.

"Man. He was making that drop for Jose since them little nigga kept getting hot headed. I told the nigga don't do it. But you know he so hardheaded. He told me he wasn't , but he went and did it. Jose been complaining about those little niggas for months. Im guessing he thought it them and before Gee even got out the car his goons let off shots. Man K, they hit our brother 10 times ! 10 fucking times !"

I watched a few tears fall from Dale's face.

"Damn! Fuck!" I yelled out , hitting the vending machine drawing attention.

He got to be good. This my big brother. He cant leave me now. We been 2 peas in a pod before I could remember. Gee, Dale, Tate and I been running together since youngin's . We go WAYY back like 2 flats on a Cadillac and spinal cords ! My nigga , my brother , my mentor , my fucking BROTHER !

Zih ,

"Shhh, Trina baby keep praying." I whispered in her ear rocking her.

"Zih, its not fair? Why my husband. Why Gee?" She cried.

"You got to be strong. Your husband is back there fighting for his life. Less then a year ago that was Kartier back there. Just pray? Isnt that what you told me? Everything is going to be ok."

She just nodded her head and continued to release her tears.

We both jumped and turned our attention down the hall were Karti just hit the damn vending machine.

"I'll be back." I excused myself and walked over to my man.

"Baby calm down." I whispered in his ear , while wrapping my arms around his waist, and rubbing his abs trying to calm him down.

I felt it in his body language he wasn't to break free from my grasp but Karti ass knew better!

He leaned his back to the wall and slid down slowly. I followed. I never seen my baby so broken up.

Dale walked away to give us our privacy.

"10 times Zih. They shot my brother 10 times, thinking he was someone else. Why they do my brother like that?" He said, not really looking for an answer.

I just sat there quiet. I couldn't find the right words to say so I pulled him close to me and let him shed a few tears in my chest. The thing with Karti is he tries to be everyone elses crutch. He's always been the strong willed one. So seeing him cry was new to me. The first time ever was the night he left me while I was pregnant.

"Gee is strong Karti. He's going to make it. I know he is." I said more so to myself. I hope I was right.

We stood up and found us seats close to the crowd.

I didn't remember falling asleep but I was soon woke by loud cries . I look a the clock and the time read 4:30am .

"Whats the news?"  Karti asked the doctor when we all surrounded him.

"The surgery was a success but doing so we lost him 3 times . We were able to remove 8 out of the 10 bullets. One of the two was 2 centimeters close to his heart and the other an half and inch away from his spinal cord. During the shooting Mr. Williams lost a great amount of blood. A bullet also struck one of his lungs and gazed a live. He had 2 blood transfusions. His body is in a lot of stress. He's also in a medical induced coma."

"Is he going to be alright?" Trina asked, holding Ms. Gina's hand.

"Mr. Williams is a fighter. In my 20years of being a doctor, I have never seen one person sustain so many bullet wounds and injuries and survive. The first 72 hours will only tell that but I'm sure he'll make it." He gave a week smile , rubbed Ms. Gina shoulder and walked back through the double doors as quickly as he came .

Now that that was over everyone can breath a little lighter. I let go of Karti's and to give him , Dale, and Tate privacy to talk . I walked over to Ms. Gina.

"Hey mama G?" I asked , to get her attention.

"Hello Zih. I haven't seen you in a while."

"I know. Sorry it had to be under these circumstances." I told her, taking her small hands into mines.

"True. How's little K? I missed him." She smiled.

"He's fine. Bad as ever. Act more like his knuckle headed daddy everyday!" I smiled back happy that she was smiling.

"Bring him by soon Zih'aira. I mean that!" She said sternly.

Since Gee and Trina haven't had any kids yet, and neither did her daughters,  Ms. Gina adored the grown Kartion walked on just like EVERYONE !

"I promise I will. The end of this week sounds good?"

"Absolutely! Don't play with me. I miss his handsome self." She smiled.

"You got it."

She pulled me into a tight hug and kissed my forehead.

"I love you baby."

"I love you too Mama Gina."

After embracing for a few moments later she let me go to retrieve her things to tell Gee goodnight. Before Trina walked off she walked over and gave me my purse.

"Thank you Zih. For the words of encouragement. I really needed that." She said pulling me away from the crowd.

"No problem. You don't have to thank me Trina. Like I said, that was me not too long ago and you were there for me."

She looked down at her shoes.

"Im pregnant Zih. I need Gee. I don't want to do this without him." She admitted.

"Your not going to do it without him. I promise." I smiled at her. she returned it and then walked off with Ms. Gina.

"You ready?" Karti asked , from behind me.

"Yeah."

He gripped my hand and we said our goodbyes to everyone and left. The whole car ride I massaged the back of his neck relaxing him.

"I love you so much Zih'aira." He whispered in my ear while I laid my head on his chest.

"I love you more Kartier."

I was going to continue by apologizing once again for my remark at dinner but before I could he told me "shhhh" ,I guess the "I love yous" handled that.

I snuggled closer to him and drifted off to sleep while he watched me.