Chapter 17

Zih,

2 months later ,

As I sat by Kartiers bed side, I couldnt help to think of how much love I still have locked away from this man. The moment I broke down when I heard the news told it all. Ive been thinking about the "old" us. We were so happy back then. I remember the first day I met him.

My dad broke the news about being in a relationship with Karen for a year, them getting engaged, and us moving only a month prior. I was 16 but knocking on 17's door.

When we finally found a house and moved I was very angry. Angry with my dad because 1; he lied and was planning on remarrying someone after my mothers death and 2; he neglected to tell me for a year. So of course I didnt take to Karen so well. I admit I gave her hell for a minute.

A short month after settling in, Karen anounced that her son was coming to town. I knew she had a son but I didnt really care.

When he arrived I made sure I was never home. I had not one intention on meeting him or treating him like a brother. A few days later I was stuck in the house, forced to have dinner as a family. After dinner was prepared I made sure I made a late arrival. I didnt want to be here and yes, everyone was going to notice.

After sitting down infront of the plate that was prepared for me I looked up and cut my eyes at my dad, gave Karen a fake smile, and looked at her son. I never really stared into his face which was why I didnt know he was so cute. He smirked and smiled and I returned the gesture by rolling my eyes and eating my food.

They made conversation and tried to add me in. I wasnt interested so I'd only give dry replies.

When dinner was over, I went out back to sit on the patio to stare ar the small lake and pool in the back. Water always seemed to calm me.

"You ok?" he asked.

"Dont I look ok?"

"Aye. I was just checking on you. Loose the attitude ma."

"Who the fuck says so?"

"Why are you so mean? Who pissed in your cheerios?" he half joked.

"None of your damn business."

I said, standing up to walk away. He tugged my are.

"You got a smart ass mouth. Check it!" he demanded.

"Make me."

"Oh I plan on it!"

________

I chucked, remembering that. Who wouldve ever thought that he'll become someone I'll fall for, let alone have a son with or experience my first heartache with.

"Hey baby. How you feeling."

I looked up to see Karen.

"Hey ma. Im cool. Just wish Karti was."

She sat down.

"Zih, Kartier is going to be ok. Hes very strong. Hes been that way since he was little. You are too. Just prey and everything will work out."

"I know ma. God forbid, but its like were waiting to know if hes going to live or die. Its been two months and he havent woke up. His eyes fluttered like twice since. Thats it. I cant take it anymore. Im so stressed.

"Baby. God gives life and he take it away. Only he knows when the two will take place. Patience is a virtue. Just be patient."

She placed my head on her shoulder. Something my mom did when I was younger. That caused me to cry harder.

"Im sorry. Im sitting here being selfish. Thats your child lying there. I dont know what I'd do if something like this happened to Kartion."

I said.

She took her hands and wiped my tears.

"Zih your not being selfish. I know how much Karti means to you and you to him. Your my daugher two ways. Im just doing what a mother is suppose to do. Be here for and cosole her child."

She said, giving me a weak smile. I know she was hurting too.

"I love you Karen. I really do."

"I love you more baby."

We both sat in silence, before I dozed off ....

"Ahhgggg!"

I screamed. Waking up.

"What!"

Karen jumped. Waking up also. I guess she dozed off too.

"M-my stomach hurts. It hurts so bad."

I said , begining to cry.

"Whats going on. Did you eat something?"

I looked her dead in the eye and shook my head no.

"Im pregnant."

Her eyes widen.

I looked away and diverted my attention else where. I was in so much pain I didnt hear what she was saying.

"I said that Im calling the doctor. If you were pregnant, your not anymore judging by this blood. Your miscarrying Zih."

she said, picking up the phone.

I looked down and noticed I was now lying / sitting in a puddle of blood. Blood that seemed to come from nowhere. It frightned me I screamed, still letting out cries. I was scared and in so much pain I felt myself becoming weaker until everything became blank ......