52- Deluded

KAYLA:

I fidget nervously as I paced Cal's room, wondering what was taking him so long. That, and of how ridiculous Cal can be sometimes. Like now.

Honestly, what was wrong with Cal? Evan's not some kind of pet you can take home after punishing for misbehaving! He's a living, breathing capable-of-murder thing! Sure, he's Cal's brother, but that's beside the point! If Evan wasn't Cal brother, would he still think of forgiving him?

Exactly! See my point?! Can's just deluded! He probably thinks that Evan is a replacement for Donovan, that's why he's acting all sentimental!

But he's not, Cal! He's not Donovan!

"Kayla?"

I gave a start. Cal was standing in the door frame, leaning against his crutches. His hair was tousled, he had dark circles under his eyes, and the smile he was giving me didn't quite reach his eyes.

"Hey," I murmured, studying him, immediately trying to squash my thoughts. "How're you feeling?"

Cal gave a huge sigh.

"Tired. Whoever said family reunions were fun, right? And you were right... Aiden-from-school is my brother. I should remember to always trust a lady's instinct," he smiled, attempting a joke.

I smiled tentatively and walked over to him, hugging him tightly.

"You need some rest, Cal."

"Yeah, I guess... but." Cal took a deep breath. "Kayla, we have to talk. I understand that what I'm about to tell you will probably not be easy for you to accept, but... I have to do this, Kayla. Please. Try to understand."

I bit my lip, already feeling anxious about what he was going to tell me. I had a feeling it had something to do with Evan, and I also had a feeling that he was right- I definitely was not going to like it. At all.

Instead of running away and telling him to shut up, though, this time, I decided to hear him out. Even if I hated his idea, I would just try to be there for him. Just... listen to him.

"Okay," I exhaled, leading him towards the bed. "Let's sit down."

---

"You what?" I whispered, trying to control my voice.

"I'm sorry, baby. But... I have to do it."

Calm, Kayla. You promised you would listen. Don't freak!

I rubbed my hand over my face tiredly.

"Cal, look, I really am trying to understand, but I... just cannot. Why would you want to endanger you and your family's life, Cal?"

"Kay, baby. I'm only going to bring him back home if he's... you know. Completely forgotten about his past. Why shouldn't I bring him home if he's not a danger, anymore, Kayla? I can't change what he's done, but I can certainly help him be a better person this time round, don't you think?"

"But Cal... what if the amnesia's only temporary? What if he suddenly remembers everything- all his hatred for you, his jealousy? The things he did?"

Cal's jaw tightened.

"I'll make sure there'll always be somebody around him when I'm not with him, Kayla. And, even if he does remember again, some time down the line, perhaps the kindness I'll show him would... I don't know. Make him realize that whatever happened in the past should be forgotten? I don't know what'll happen, Kayla, I don't know what I'm going to do, what I will do... but I do know that I've got to give him a try, Kay. I have to!"