58- We're Going to Have So Much Fun!

KAYLA:

"What? Where'd you hear it? Did they tell you? What did they say?" I cried, wringing my hands.

"Shh, baby! It's going to be alright, Kayla," Cal murmured, pulling me close to him. "I'd never let anybody do anything-"

"No, Cal! You don't understand! When we girls fight, we do it the sneaky way! No number of bodyguards or soldiers will ever be able to protect a girl from another's fury!"

"Baby, don't get so worked up about it! Look, I'll be at your side the entire night," Cal said soothingly, attempting to pull me into a hug. I took a step back.

"Cal, don't you understand?! You won't be able to protect me! It's not like they're going to punch me or anything, Cal. They'd probably... I don't know, show an embarassing video of me or something like that just to humiliate me! Don't you see? Even if you were at my side the entire time, you just can't, Cal! Girls fight dirty!"

I swallowed a sob, then pulled Cal's jacket towards me, looking beesechingly into his eyes.

"Please, Cal," I whispered. "I can't go! Don't force me, please!"

Cal exhaled a deep sigh, then gently placed his large hands on mine. When he spoke again, his voice was low and gentle.

"Baby, I'm sorry... But, I want you to go. I need you to go..."

I whimpered and pulled my hands away from his, looking at him like he had betrayed me.

"Kayla, you are the most amazing person I have ever, ever met. And I'm not saying that just 'coz I love you. The only pity is, Kay, is that your selfconfidence could probably fit into a teaspoon."

I flinched, but Cal continued talking, his eyes locked on mine earnestly.

"I know you'd probably going to hate me for saying this, Kayla, but it's for your own good. I'm not going to take no for an answer, baby. You are coming to the dance, and you will have fun, I promise. And if the girls even so much as sneer in your direction, I'll promise I'll make their life hell."

I stared at Cal, silent tears running down my eyes.

"Baby, don't tell me that just 'coz I'm a guy, I have no idea how to make others suffer. I do, babe. I can get them kicked out from school just because, I can hire people to dig up their darkest secrets... I can do anything, and I will do anything, if they touch my girlfriend. Now do you feel safe, Kayla? Nothing will happen to you, I promise."

I snivelled and continued crying, the sobs choking my breathing. Sighing, Cal pulled me into his arms, letting me cry on his jacket.

"Come. I'll take you for ice-cream."

---

"Hey, Ivan? Sean?" I knocked tentatively on their door.

"Hey, Elle-Elephan- Good grief! What happened to you?" Sean exclaimed as he opened the door, staring wide eyed at me.

I sighed, curling a strand of hair round my finger.

"I'm fine, look-"

"Did you break up with Cal?" Sean prodded, his tone suspiciously hopeful.

I rolled my eyes.

"What I was about to say-"

"Did he break up with you?" Sean gasped, his face a mask of horror and anger. "'Coz if he did, then-"

"Nah, I don't think that guy would break up with her," Ivan added, looking at me thoughtfully. "I mean, he's quite taken by-"

"He's not taken! Don't use that word, Ivan," Sean snarled. "It's just a puppy dog-"

"GUYS!" I bellowed, feeling pretty pissed. Honestly, what is up with the breaking up theories? Do they really think we won't last?

"Look, what I was about to ask, before I got so rudely interrupted..." I stared at Sean pointedly, "was that my back-to-school dance will be held... In three days."

I gulped nervously.

"Well, the thing is, my friend Sam-"

"Hold it, Kayla!"

Ivan shot a significant look at Sean, who immediately cottoned on, his face turning pale.

"You're not gonna... Oh god, no. No, Kayla!"

"Yeah! We've met your friends, remember, and they were..." Sean broke off, shuddering.

"Mental."

"Crazy."

"Completely."

"Absolutely."

I sighed.

"Look, you guys should really let me finish my sentences first before butting in. The girls you met at Cal's party were not my friends, at all. Sam, on the other hand, is. She's really sweet and all but she doesn't have a date. And don't you guys wanna be transported back to your school days? When you guys actually had real teachers, and-"

"Disgusting food? Bells? Timetables?"

Ivan snickered.

"Look, please? I'm begging you!"

Sean scratched his chin thoughtfully.

"Thing is, kiddo, I believe you when you say that Sam's nice and all, but... Won't the bimbos be there, too?"

"Yes, but you can always avoid them, can't you? I mean-"

"Girl! Do you know what troubles we had to go through just to hide from The Gang of Giggling Girls the other night?! And you saw how big Cal's place was!"

I crumpled my face, giving them my best puppy-eyed look.

"Please? For me?"

Two pairs of green eyes stared back at me, immune.

"Awh, come on! Who knows, she might be your soulmate!"

---

Sam gaped at me, her eyes shining with happiness.

"You did it? You did it for me?"

I giggled.

"Sam, it was hardly a chore! They're my brothers, all I have to do is climb up one flight of stairs to ask them! And, after all, seeing as how I'm their little sister..."

Sam flung her arms around me, jumping excitedly. We were in the mall- school had been dismissed early- and we had decided to do a little catching up with each other.

"Thank you so much, Kay! You're the best, ever! I didn't even want to go at first, 'coz I didn't want to, you know, look like a loser, but now..."

Sam whooped, jumping again.

"Anyway, have you bought a dress?"

"Yeah, kind of, I guess," I murmered, feeling guilty again, thinking about the expensive beauty hanging in my cupboard.

"Oh. Well, never mind, you can help me pick out my dress, then! I was thinking something... Vanilla-ish?"

"Cream coloured, you mean?"

"Yeah. Do you think it will look okay with my red hair?"

I smiled, trying to imagine her in the colour she wanted.

"Yeah, defo!"

Sam squealed again, and I couldn't help but laugh along too; her excitement was contagious!

"Oh, Kayla! We are going to have so much fun," she grinned, linking her arm into mine.

"Yeah, I sure hope so..." I whispered softly, my stomach clenching suddenly.