64- Miscommunication

KAYLA:

I stared open-mouthed as Cal sprinted away, his belt dangling around his waist. 

"What the heck happened, Kayla?" Sean asked in a dangerously low voice, his grip tight on my arm. Suddenly, I felt my cheeks becoming hot. He thought I wanted to...

Oh no.

I groaned, sinking to the floor.

"Kayla! Did Cal do anything to you?!"

"No..." I whispered in horror. "He- I- Thought wanted to sleep with him..."

"WHAT?!"

"Sean, chill, I'm a little bit confused. I thought... I mean, Cal gave me the impression that Kayla was the one who had want-"

Ivan snarled, stepping closer to Ben. Sean, on the other hand, seemed torn- part of him wanted to stop Ivan, part of him wanted to shout at Ben, and another part of him wanted to continue grilling me. He finally settled on tugging my arm, casting dark looks over his shoulder every once in a while.

"Is it true, Kayla? You- you, wanted to sleep with him?"

"Of course not!" I squeaked, my face turning red. I couldn't believe we were talking about me doing... it so casually like this!

"But, Cal said..."

"Cal's insane!" I yelled, still red.

"I knew it!" Sam suddenly yelped.

"Knew what?"

"That time he asked me whether he should book a room for you! He wasn't- Well, he wasn't talking about your birthday party!"

"What?"

"He was- Well, you know, talking about this..."

A stunned silence filled the room.

"He thought... The room was for... But that's outrageous!" I finally spluttered. "Why would anybody book a room after prom for that?"

Nervous stares greeted me.

"Well... actually, Kayla... People do. I mean," Ben cleared his throat guiltily. "It's sort of... a custom."

"A CUSTOM?!"

"Uhm, yeah..."

I stared at everybody blankly, waiting for someone to give the joke away and start laughing. When nobody did, however, I suddenly felt faint, remembering what I had said to Cal.

Oh god.

I told him that I would love it, didn't I? And... that could we please invite others?

Suddenly everything began to make sense.

No wonder he looked so surprise when I agreed.

No wonder he was so embarassed when I told him that Sean and Ivan and Kayla should be coming too.

His face when he told me that he wasn't good at it.

"Oh. Oh. Oh."

My feet turned into jelly and I sank on the floor, my hand above me at an awkward angle; Sean still hadn't let go of me.

"What have I done?" I moaned, my face ashen. "Oh god, I'm so so embarassed. I thought... Oh god."

I tugged my handa way and knelt down on the carpet, yoga style.

"He must think that I'm some sort of kinky... dirty minded... sl*tty..."

"Naw, Kayla, don't be too hard on yourself! Cal was surprised, no doubt, but I don't think he minded very much," Ben said, his voice cracking.