76- The Masquerade Ball

KAYLA:

"So, Kayla, how's your relationship with lover boy going?"

I frowned at the mirror, not looking at Lizzie's reflection standing beside me.

Lizzie huffed prissily.

"So, anyway, are you going?"

"Going where, Lizzie?" I asked, keeping my voice as deadpan as possible.

Lizzie's blue-green eyes glinted mischievously.

"Only the biggest party of the decade, that's where! Oh my god!" she exclaimed, in an almighty fake concerned tone. "Don't tell me you're not going?"

I rolled my eyes. Trust Lizzie to rub a sore spot. The party she was talking about, aka The Biggest Party of The Year, was actually a Masquerade Ball, held by the Warwick High Alumni every ten years. Tradition had it that only a few handpicked Alumni members could issue out invites, with the location, time, and date of the ball being held secret up 'till the night of the ball itself. Although I was still considered a newbie here, I wanted to go to the ball so so badly.

Part of it was because of Sam- she had made it sound so very mysterious and slightly creepy-like, and part of it was because... Well, the alumni members who had the invites were usually those who had 'contributed to society', so even getting an invite would be a huge, huge honor! And not to mention how I'd get to rub shoulders with politicians (Warwick High's alumni was incredibly packed with politicians- but I supposed that was to be expected, it being a private school where kids with connections attended after all.) if I managed to snag an invitation. Since I had to start applying to universities soon, perhaps a chat with one of them may actually help me with my university applications! How it might, I don't know, but I'm sure it would!

And of course, the whole once in a decade part... I mean, this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

"Are you going then, Lizzie?" I said boredly.

She fluffed up her hair.

"I most definitely am."

"So who gave you the invitation?"

She narrowed her eyes: Clearly, the conversation wasn't going to her liking.

"Probably one of my dad's friends. He knows so many people and-"

"Wait. Let me get this straight. You haven't gotten an invite yet, but you're already so sure that you're going?"

"Well of course I am going. The best will only invite the best, after all, and-"

I grinned and clapped Lizzie on her back.

"Look, I'd really like to stay to hear why you think you're the best, but unfortunately, I have class. So good luck getting the invitation, Liz. If you're lucky, you'll see me there."