88- Mr Callum Aiden Cafferty, the Valedictorian

A/N: Officially the last chapter before the epilogue :)

CAL:

Buzz, buzz, buzz!

Grimacing, I fumble through my too-tight jeans for my blasted phone. Yeah, I could ignore it and all, but me being the idiot I am, I decide to answer it – 2 minutes before I have to make my speech no less!

“This really isn’t a good time,” I murmur curtly into my phone.

“Sorry sir. But we caught Evan. We thought you should know,” Maxwell informs me in a clipped tone.

“Good job. I’m about to give a speech. We’ll talk in a bit,” I murmur, disconnecting the call.

“You all right?” Michelle asks, walking up to me.

I nod my head at her, giving her a wink. “Always okay!”

She rolls her eyes at me. “Make sure not to embarrass yourself Mr Valedictorian,” she teases.

“Yeah, that didn’t jinx things at all!” I mutter sourly just as we’re given the cue to line up at the back entrance of the stage.

The Dean begins calling out all our names and the line in front of begins shrinking before I’m finally the last one backstage. With my heart in my chest, I wait with bated breath for Michelle to sashay her way across the stage.

I peer out of the curtain and spot my dad sitting in the front row, a huge smile on his face. He spots me and gives me the thumbs up. I grin back at him before pulling my head back in.

“Proud parents, esteemed guests, committed professors and my eager young graduates; this is the end of a chapter of your life. I hope you will look back at your university days with fond memories. And I can assure you, every single person in this room is so proud of you. But what I can’t promise is that there is a single person, in this hall today, who is prouder of his protégé than Mr William Cafferty!” the Dean announces loudly.

I hear the applause and I can picture my dad regally bow his head at that compliment.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I have only one graduating certificate left to hand out, a certificate that belongs to a Mr Callum Aiden Cafferty, the valedictorian.”

I smoothen down my jacket and walk across the stage to the Dean.