81- The Hunt

CAL:

“Try not to be too upset if some girls happen to look our way, aright Cal?” Ivan teases.

The six of us are in the limo, speeding towards St Nicholas Park where this stupid wild goose chase will begin. I honestly don’t understand why Kay and Sam are so excited! I would coin it as a girl thing, but Ben, Sean and Ivan seen almost as excited as the girls. Perhaps I really am the only sane one here!

“Oh, ain’t that adorable? He’s ignoring us now,” Sean chimes in, guffawing at me.

I glower at the twins, an evil smirk on my face. “Oh? Were you talking to me? I’m sorry, I was just reliving the whole Ben-kissing-Ivan scene. How did that feel for you Ivan; being kissed by a guy? Or you Sean; watching your boyfriend kiss your twin brother?”

The twins glare coldly at me but shut up. Ben just pinks and Sam and Kayla burst into a fit of laughter. Ah! Revenge really was sweet!

***

The limo pulls up in the park and we climb out. There’s already a good 200 people dressed up fancily.

On the other side of the park, right under the huge town square monument, sit a group of well dressed gentlemen; members of the alumni.

We hang around for a few minutes, mingling with everyone. And with the masks on, it really is very difficult to tell who is who.

“Ladies and gentlemen; esteemed invited guests and...tag-alongs,” the tallest man calls loudly, gaining everyone’s attention. “In my hand, I have the first clue which will aid you in your search for the location of the masquerade ball. However, I only have 50 cards in my hands. I will call your name is a card is addressed to you. If not, you will have to leave, unless an invited guest would be kind enough to allow you to read their card. Though, heed my advice, this dance is an exclusive event. Those if you who are given the first clue would do well to remember that your faith of getting into our ranks depends on this. Again, this dance is an exclusive one.”

I roll my eyes at the theatricality of it all. “Can you believe this crap?” I scoff softly.

But both Sam and Kayla are enraptured, their eyes huge, trained on the elderly man who holds the invited.

“Keith Smith.”

I catch Keith look up, not surprised in the slightest. No one is. It’s Keith...there was no doubt he would get an invite.