43- She's Sick

CAL:

The limo stops outside the Broadway theatrette and climb out, my muscles sore. I spent the entire morning looking for Evan’s contacts, but I haven’t found a single one of them. By four o’clock, I gave up, hopped onto the plane, and here I am.

Lucky Kayla didn’t come with me though. The area I was sent to was crawling with creepers. I got jumped. Twice. So now, I don’t have my phone or my watch. My father’s watch to be exact. Thank god they only wanted the watch and phone though.

But since I don’t have my phone, I have no idea where exactly the Thomas’ are. I did give Kayla the tickets for the show. I’ll just cross my fingers that they’re here. Otherwise, I’ll have to start combing the streets for them. They could be anywhere, come to think of it.

Though, I do have a sneaking suspicion Kay would be somewhere in the penthouse, moping. I’m going to have to make it up to her big time. She’s unbelievably pissed off at me.

I walk into the theatre and climb up the stairs to the private box I had booked for the Thomas’. The show is in full swing already and I can see Emma on the edge of her seat.

I push the door open gently and take the empty seat beside Emma. She squeals happily and climbs onto my lap. I grin at her and scan around the box for Kayla. But she isn’t here. The rest of her family give me warm smiles before getting back to the show.

Where’s Kayla?

Maybe she’s still angry at me and decided to stay at the hotel? Yeah, that must be it. Or maybe she’s shopping or sightseeing or something.

I’ll just apologise and talk to her after the show. Besides, I doubt Emma would let me leave halfway through a performance of cats.

***

“Thank you so much Cal!” Emma chirps happily, hanging on to my hand.

“Don’t thank me. It was my pleasure, my dear,” I murmur, patting her head. “Where’s Kayla though?”

“She didn’t feel like joining us. She told Emma she wasn’t feeling well,” Mrs Thomas responds.

“Oh...it’s not because she’s mad at me?” I ask softly.

“Nah. Don’t get me wrong, she’s spitting mad at you, and me for that matter. But Em says she’s just not feeling well,” Ivan chips in.

“Okay then. Anywhere else you guys want to go before heading back to the hotel? We could grab a bite, and maybe buy something back for Kayla?” I suggest.

“Oo! Food!” Emma demands, smiling angelically.

“Yeah, I’m kinda peckish too. There was this place my dad used to take me to whenever we came to New York. It’s called Aureole. Superb food! Expensive, but totally worth it,” I inform them, shrugging. “My treat?”