50- Oh, Cal!

KAYLA:

I swiped my screen, brushing away the last few tears from my cheeks.

He sounded like Cal... But then again, we were talking about Cal's brother, weren't we? But then again, the doctor told us that Cal was in a coma. And so did the inspector.

What the heck was going on?!

Suddenly, I felt arms enveloping me from behind. Shocked, I jerked my elbows backwards, jabbing the person in his spleen.

"Ouch! What the heck, Kayla?!"

I gasped, looking at Ivan's pained face.

"I'm sorry, Ivan!"

"What's wrong with you anyway? We get it that you're upset, all of us are, but why'd you have to be on full attack mode?"

"I- Oh, Ivan, listen to me. Cal just called me."

Ivan scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"Way to apologize, Kayla."

"No, I'm serious! He told me that there was a mixup, that the guy downstairs is Evan."

"That's impossible. How is that possible anyway?"

"I don't know, but this... Cal guy told me to be careful."

"Of what? Cal, or whoever he claims that guy downstairs is, won't wake up. At least for now," he quickly added. "Wait a minute, Kayla. You're not actually buying it, are you?"

I bit my lip.

"God, Kayla! You are such a magnet for trouble! What, I expect this Cal guy has an injured leg or something so he can't walk over to see you and you probably have to go over to see him?"

"Erm..."

Now that he put it that way.

Ivan ran his fingers through his hair.

"Kayla, I'm sorry, but we've just got to acce-"

He was broken off by loud police sirens screeching towards the hospital building. Behind the two police cars, an ambulance followed closely, its lights flashing.

"What the...?" I hear Ivan mumbling, but my attention was not on him anymore. My eyes fearfully follows the procession as they stopped right in front of the hospital doors. My heart began to beat faster. Could it be possible...?

The door sprang open and Inspector Hugh jumped out, his face red as he stormed towards the building. Not once did he spare a look at Ivan and I, who were gaping stupidly as his uniform flapped by.

"What's happening?" Ivan asked hoarsely, as two more inspectors tailed him, their jaws set. But I didn't answer Ivan; my eyes were fixed on the ambulance that was pulling over gently.

"Ivan...?" I whispered, still not taking my eyes of the ambulance, but he was gone, rushing in after the police officers. I took a step forward, as if an invisible magnet was drawing me towards the ambulance.

Don't get your hopes up, Kayla. You have no idea what's happening. Even though he may look like Cal... It might still be Evan. Maybe Evan looks a lot like his dad, just like Cal does.

The ambulance doors were opening. I inhaled a sharp breath, trying to steady my heart.

A paramedic stumbled out of the ambulance, the doors flying open behind him. He looked terribly flustered, and his pale face was splotched with embarrassment.

"You bloody well don't know what you're doing, don't you?"

My heart fluttered; I would know that voice, that temper anywhere. Still, I forced myself to stay calm, to not run towards the ambulance. I didn't want to get my hopes up.