38- William Cafferty

KAYLA:

Aiden placed the note there? To scare Cal? But he didn't harm Sam? 

I shivered. Although I knew that that was the truth, that the security cameras couldn't have lied, I still felt spooked out. Why would he write such a thing? And in red ink, no less!

"Kay, stop spooking yourself out!"

I jumped. So wrapped up was I in my thoughts that I had almost forgotten where we were. Cal and I were in his limo that his dad had sent. The both of us were being driven back to my house, where we could catch up with our sleep- and interrogate Cal's dad afterwards. It was early morning, and i could see the dark circles under his eyes; the poor dear was exhausted.

"i'm sorry, Cal. Its just that... I don't know. First Aiden, then Evan, then the note..."

Cal pulled me into a tight hug.

"Listen, I'm here for you. I wont let anything happen to you. When we've freshened up, I'll pick you up from your house. We can interrogate my dad, and get to the bottom of all this mess." Cal continued dryly. "You'd like it, you'd get to investigate."

I punched his shoulders lightly. Suddenly, his words sunk into my head.

"What do you mean, you'll come pick me up? Are you going back home?"

"Well, yeah, baby. Why?"

I stared at him with wide eyes.

"You said you were gonna take care of me!" I mumbled, my voice choking up.

"Kayla, baby, whats wrong? What did i do? Don't cry!" Cal whispered, horrified.

"Then don't leave me, Cal! There's nobody at home! I'd be all alone and..." I started to sniffle.

"Shh! Okay, look, if it means that much to you... I'll keep you company. The whole day, if my lady so pleases."

"You'd do that for me?" I asked, wiping away my tears.

Cal chuckled. "Well, after your water works, I definitely can't say no, now can I?" 

The driver of the limo gave a strangled cough, as if trying to hide a laughter. "Now hush, we'll be at your place soon."

I exhaled a sigh, burying my nose into his jacket.

"Has anyone ever told you that you're the greatest boyfriend? Ever?"

Cal cocked his head, giving me a lopsided grin.

"Well... yeah, come to think of it again, I do get a lot of that."

It took me a few seconds to realize what he was implying. When i did understand, I punched him so hard, he actually winced in pain.

"Dork!" I muttered darkly.

---

"Well, here are Ivan's clothes," I mutter, pointing at a red shirt and jeans I threw on my bed. We were in my room, and all of a sudden, I could feel myself getting hot. I couldn't help but notice that there was something very... Adult... about all this. A room, a bed, an empty house, a couple...

Cal didnt seem to notice my discomfort, though.

"Right. Thanks, Kayla."

I nodded. Then, trying to hide my embarrassment, I randomly picked up my oversized tee (which I had never worn) and a towel, although I already had one hanging in the toilet.

"Well, okay, uhm, I'll... erm, go take a shower, you can use the one downstairs.. And, erm, if you like any- I mean, if you want anything, you can just..."