85- You Only See What You Want To See

A/N: Dear readers, this book is very very very much near completion :'( We hope you've enjoyed reading it, as much as we have enjoyed writing it! When we're done, d'ya think you guys could give us some feedback? This being our first collab and all, it'll be interesting to know what people think of it =) thankies!

KAYLA:

"CAL!!!" I sobbed, pushing my way past Ben to fling myself over my boyfriend's shaking body, effectively making me his body shield. "CAL!!! NO!!!"

Suddenly, I felt something blunt hit my head. It took a few seconds for me to finally feel the searing pain ripping through my skull; pain that was made worst by my brothers' and Sam's yells.

"Shut. Up," Ben hissed dangerously, and they immediately quietened down, although I could hear Sam's gasps and chokes. I ignored the pounding in my head- almost as if it had never happened- and continued to sob, clutching Cal's hands.

"Get away from him, Kayla," Ben sneered, swinging his metal rod dangerously near me.

I shook my head, continuing to press my body against Cal.

"Please, baby, stay with me! Please, please, Cal!"

"I said," our captor hissed, his voice dangerously low. "Get. Away. From my brother! Now!"

"Baby, list- list-" 

I shook my head, putting my finger against his lips. He looked so weak- even in the dim light, I could see how pale he looked, how violently he was trembling. He had to conserve his energy! He had to stay alive!

"Don't talk, Cal!" I sobbed, my tears falling on his shirt. "Please, baby, just stay-"

CRACK.

I gasped, almost forgetting to breath, as Cal's grip on my hand slackened. I looked up, my vision clouded with tears, my breathing ragged. Ben was standing right on top of Cal, his face twisted in an ugly grimace. The metal rod was no longer swinging from his arms: it was, in fact, lying innocently next to Cal's right arm- the arm that had been clutching me. 

My lips trembled as I took in the new position of the rod, Ben's snarling face, Cal's limp arms-

"That's right, Kayla. If you don't move back to that wall, my brother will be in even more pain than he already is in," Ben whispered dangerously.

Staring at Cal, my lips parted in horror, I quickly scooted backwards until I hit a shelf, knocking several bottles down where they broke upon contact with the floor. A sour, pungent smell immediately filled the air.

Ben, however, was not the least bit concerned about what I had did. Frozen, I could only watch helplessly as Ben knelt over Cal, their faces inches apart. I could see his- Ben's- face breaking out into a grin- a twisted, evil, grin.

"Hello, brother. So nice to be properly introduced, don't you think?"