32- The Announcement

KAYLA:

"I can't do it, Sam! I can't!!!" I squeaked, already regretting my decision of spilling my heart out to Sam.

"Oh, yes, you can! Ben!!!"

Ben rolled his eyes, pulling me by one hand to the office. 

"No!!!" I screamed, trying to grab hold of the door. I missed, though. It was recess, and most of the kids were gone from the classrooms, but the few who were there openly goggled at me.

"Kayla, really, don't be difficult! You want to apologize, don't you?"

"Yes, but not if it means I'd have to embarrass myself and get into trouble!"

"Honey, no pain, no gain. Nothing's easy in the game of love," Sam replied loftily. I had a feeling that she was quite enjoying herself, observing my reaction.

"Plus, who said we'll get into trouble? Don't forget, I'm Ben, a.k.a Mr. Perfect, and with stunningly good looks like I happen to have... I can get away with anything." He scratched his chin thoughtfully, still dragging me. "Probably even murder, especially if its a female inspector."

"Oh god! Are all you jocks like this?" I snapped, immediately reminded of Cal's self-loving statements.

We had reached the office. My heart thumped faster as I thought of what I was about to do. Panicking, I tried to pull myself free, taking advantage of Ben's lapse of attention.

I'd only managed to take two steps, though, before I find myself being lifted off the ground.

"Baby, don't make this difficult for me," he whispered dangerously into my ear. "You forgot, I'm the once who has to speak first... and if you don't cooperate, I might just... accidentally slip out your full name..."

Immediately, I stopped trashing around, cursing Ben under my breath.

He chuckled as he stepped into the office. I noticed that Sam was giving him the thumbs-up; the coast was clear. No clerks or teachers around.

Ben sauntered into the office, expertly avoiding tables, before locking all three of us in a room. From the corner of my eye, I could see that... thing. Staring obstantiously back at me. I moaned.

"Look, Kayla, I'm gonna let you down, but you have to promise me you're not going to run away."

I shook my head, feeling bile in my mouth.

Ben sighed tragically, putting me down gently. 

"Kayla, Cal is every bit my friend as he is yours, don't forget. And it kills me to see him looking so... down like how he did this morning. Tell me, you do like him a lot, don't you? I don't care whether you like him as a friend or more than that, you must care about him, don't you?"