57- Great, More Plotting

CAL:

“I love you so much!” Kayla screeched, running across the school grounds towards me. She throws her arms around me tightly, practically jumping up and down in excitement.

“I love you too, baby,” I chuckle against her hair, squeezing her tightly.

“Thank you so much for the dress! I’ve been trying to call you all weekend! And you didn’t come to school yesterday!” she accuses, stabbing her finger at my chest.

“Yeah, sorry about that. I caught a cold and just holed myself up in my room with a ton of movies. I figured I should just get better ASAP, you know?” I murmur, shrugging.

“You feeling better now?” she demands, pulling back so she can study me closely.

“I’m fine, babe. Completely and absolutely fine,” I assure her taking her hand, leading her towards the school building.

“I like you all clean shaven,” she whisper after a moment, trailing her finger down my jaw line.

“I know. That’s why I did it this morning. I figured, I might as well make you as happy as can be, no?”

She smiles happily and swings out interlaced fingers.

“How’s your leg?” she suddenly demands, realizing I don’t have my crutches.

“I’m fine. Relax…my leg is getting better. If the healing can keep up, I’ll be fine by this Saturday, and we can actually dance!” I murmur gleefully.

“How could a broken leg heal so fast?” she asks incredulously.

“See baby, here’s the thing. You work yourself to a state when you’re worried. You heard the doctor say broken leg when all it really is, is just a fracture,” I explain.

“But you still should have your crutches!” she admonishes, immediately wrapping an arm around my waist to help me support my weight. Such a darling!

“I know…I kinda forgot it this morning,” I lie shrugging.

“Callum! Don’t lie to me!” she mutters darkly, her eyes flashing.

“Geez! I didn’t want everyone to see me with the crutches, okay?” I admit sourly.

“You’re such a silly guy!” she exclaims, shaking her head.

“Oh come on! Don’t be mad at me!” I plead, kissing her cheek repeatedly. She finally cracks a smile and pouts adorably.

“Fine,” she mutters dryly.

I steer her towards the benches where my boys are hanging out and I can feel her stiffen. “Cal, I don’t know your friends!” she complains softly.

“Time to get to know them,” I tease, shrugging again.

We walk over to the benches and I sit down, pulling her down beside me.

“Guys, I’ve never made the official introductions. This is Kayla, my girlfriend. Kayla, these are my oldest and best friends; Keith, Jordan and James,” I introduce, pointing the guys out.

Kayla blushes lightly, but shakes everyone’s hands. And then everyone lapses into an uncomfortable silence.

“Come on guys! This is my girlfriend, can’t you try to make her feel welcome?” I mutter crossly.

“Right…umm…nice to finally meet you Kayla! Cal gushes about you, a lot,” Keith murmurs, smiling warmly at her.

Kayla just smiles back, still uncomfortable.

Sighing to myself, I stand up and pull her up with me. “I’ll see you guys during break later. I just want to walk Kayla to class,” I call over my shoulder at the guys.

“Bye,” Kayla squeaks.

The guys chorus their goodbyes as we cross the grounds towards the main building.

“Sorry,” Kayla mumbles awkwardly. “I’m not really good with new people.”

I chuckle at that and kiss her forehead. “Don’t worry, baby. If you don’t want to hang out with my friends, its fine.”

She sighs deeply but drops the topic, looking a bit troubled.

“You okay?” I ask softly.

“Yeah,” she mumbles unconvincingly.

I pull her to a stop and whirl her around to face me. I cup her jaw gently and tilt her head up will she’s looking right at me. “Tell me what’s bothering you,” I command.

She rolls her eyes at my tone but sighs. “I just…I’m not really sure about the dance,” she mumbles.

“What do you mean?” I demand.

Did I do something wrong? Was I supposed to get her flowers or something? Did I miss her birthday? No…her facebook page says her birthday is the day after the dance.

“I…people will laugh,” she stammers. “You’re the king…and I’m just the plump jester.”

“Stop it!” I insist, firmly. “Stop with the whole crazy act! I keep telling you that you’re perfect. Could you please, please just believe me?”

“I..” she begins before I press a finger to her lips.

“Kayla Thomas is the most beautiful and amazing girl in the entire world!” I announce loudly, making her blush. The rest of the students in the corridor stare and Kay shrinks to my side.

Chuckling I kiss her on the lips quickly, earning stunned comments from many of the passers-by.

“So,” I begin, after pulling away from her. “Who’s Sam taking to the dance?”

“I don’t think she is taking anyone…Ivan wants to go…maybe I’ll ask him to take Sam?” she murmurs, mostly to herself.

I nod my head, leaning back against the wall.

“I gotta get to class now Cal. I’ll see you later,” she finally murmurs, smiling mischievously at me.

I nod my head again and she struts to class, and I can’t help but ogle her retreating figure. Damn, I am one lucky son of a gun!

***

“I can’t believe he’s taking Kayla to the dance!” Lizzie complains loudly in the changing room.

She doesn’t realize I’m in the shower and can hear her clearly.

“I know! Such a beach! But her brothers are really, really hot! We should totally go with them!” Amy suggests, laughing her horribly nasal laugh.

“Mmmhm! And we’ll book two rooms in the hotel for after! I’m sure everyone’s booking rooms already!” 

“I know! You know what? You really want to show that little beach who is queen around here? Sleep with Cal! On that night! She’d be heart broken!” Lizzie sniggers.

I ball my fists up. Yeah, like that would happen.

“Nope…he’s loyal to her. I have a better idea…we’ll just make it the most embarrassing night of her life!” Amy suggests.

Great…more plotting. I’ll have to tell Kay, I can’t let her be caught unaware.