44- Here Kitty Kitty

KAYLA:

Oh god oh god oh god. I am in so much trouble, I thought to myself wildly, cringing as I heard lecherous calls calling out to me.

I wrapped my hoodie around myself tighter, my fingers wrapped around the pepper spray that was in my pocket. I had just into another dark, lonely alley, and truth be told, I was very, very lost. And terrified. And hungry. 

Cal had boarded the plane! I thought for the umpteenth time wildly. But then... the ringing tone...?

Someone must have stolen it, I realized suddenly, my mouth getting dry. And here I was, roaming the exact same streets that he was robbed on. Way past midnight, no less.

Suddenly, the moon peeked out from behind the clouds, casting the alley into a dim light. Immediately, I tensed up. I had been relying on the darkness to slip into the shadows, hoping that no one would notice me... but now, here I was, in full sight, for anyone to see.

As if on cue, I heard wolf whistles behind me.

"Hey, baby! Where do you think you're going, honey?"

My heart suddenly accelerating, I quickened my pace.

"Don't run, sugar!" Another voice. My blood turned cold. So there wasn't just one of them.

"Come here!"

"Come to daddy!"

More wolf whistles. And more voices. I broke into a run, and behind me, the group of men laughed. They were still following me! My cold fingers brushed against the cool metal of my pepper spray. But what good was it? There were more than 3 of them, I was easily outnumbered!

Cal! Oh, Cal, wherever you are, hurry! I thought panickly, my feet not stopping.

I had reached a crossroad. I cursed wildly. Which one should I pick? Behind me, the raucous laughter was getting closer. Realizing that I didn't have time to think, I quickly decided on taking the right turn.

"There she is!"

I froze as two men emerged from the shadows, clearly drunk. My blood cold, I quickly turned back and ran straight ahead. Behind me, the laughter had grown exponentially. My breaths were already ragged but I pushed myself, adrenaline pumping me as I imagined outstretched hands grabbing my jacket.

Suddenly, I scooted to a halt. I was facing a dead wall.

No no no no!

Half sobbing, I pounded on the wall, part of me believing that if I was strong enough, the wall would fall. It didn't budge, though. I turned around, terrified, as the moon disappeared again. Despite the darkness, I could hear the thudding footsteps of the men, turning the corner.